• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jk wrangler shocks on the xj?

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep Cherokee came with a 3'' lift (longer coils/full leafs) and pro crap shocks im looking for affordable shocks that give good ride quality, should I used factory jk shocks(black tube) or factory Rubicon shocks(red tube)?
How good is the ride quality considering the jk wrangler is a heavyer rig?
I do mostly daily driving with occasional weekend light trail use. Where is the best place to find jk shocks other than ebay?
any help is much appriciated

The red ones are "better"? But they both ride fine. Craigslist, forums, etc are the best place to find JK take-off's. Maybe go to one of your local off-road shops and ask if they have some?

that's a good idea going to local offroad shops and are the red shocks really better or just a firmer ride

IMO firmer ride is better, but that is why I use quotes around better. If you can get either set for a decent price, go for it.

I would say less than 150$/set. I personally, most likely would not go more than 100$ (maybe 125$)

I can get my hands on a set of the standard black tube shocks for 50.00 with 500 miles on them, but why would you not pay more then 125.00 for them are they not good shocks?

They work well. I just do not like spending a lot of money on some things. Ha. I figure that if I were to spend about that or more I would buy better.
Thats a really good deal. I want to say thats about what I paid for my set a couple years back.

I got a set from my local 4Wheel Parts for $20. I just asked them to save a set when a JK Rubi or X came in for a lift.

and last question, how much do shocks actually affect ride? I don't know much about them, but I hear the pro comp shocks I have are crap, or do I just have stiff springs , because every bump I hit is VERY stiff and jarring

Shocks will affect how a vehicle rides.
Spring rate will have an effect also. Depending on your control arms and suspension setup will affect it.

Shocks have a huge effect on ride quality, especially if yours are worn out.
JK shocks rode nicely on my Jeep - I really liked it, actually - but with 1.5" lift I bottomed out the JK's going over bumps. Needed hella bump stops, or what I actually did was, I went with Bilsteins & got rid of my lift.

Back