• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 Stripped out fill plug

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I had a shop install my SYE, and they stripped out the fill plug. The drain plug is good, and I've been filling it through the speedo. The hole is now totally circular, due to my various methods of trying to get it out. Any quick fixes to get it out? Am I really going to have to drill it?

JB Weld a bolt in there then unscrew the plug with the bolt head. I'm talking the 24 hour cure stuff not the 4 hour setting JB Welb.

Use a real welder to weld on a bolt that fits into the now round hole. The heat will break loose the corrosion, and you won't need a new plug.

Use a real welder to weld on a bolt that fits into the now round hole. The heat will break loose the corrosion, and you won't need a new plug.

I was going to suggest a torch to heat it up and a chisel to try and turn it but Tim's method here should work much better. I would avoid drilling it out at all costs because you're going to put metal shavings inside the case, if you do that you might as well pull the back half of the case off first because you're going to have to do it anyway after you drill the plug out.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a torch to heat it up and a chisel to try and turn it but Tim's method here should much better. I would avoid drilling it out at all costs because you're going to put metal shavings inside the case, if you do that you might as well pull the back half of the case off first because you're going to have to do it anyway after you drill the plug out.

agreed^^

I would probably keep the welding to short spot welds, though. You want to heat the plug enough to get it to expand and break the build-up holding it in place, but you don't want to heat everything enough to damage seals and o-rings near it.

The drain plug is far enough away from anything heat sensitive, and 2-3 short weld beads will be sufficient without overheating anything.

Morris 4X4 has them. Depending upon year of your TC, they run from $83 to $147. I'm sure other venders have them as well.

I wouldn't munk around with welding on it.

83$ for a fill plug? That's insane.

And even if he pays that outrageous price, or any other price for a new plug, how does he get the old plug out?

Welding a bolt into the hole is the best and easiest option. There isn't anything to worry about getting too hot in that part of the case anyway. The fluid in the Case will absorb most of the heat

I would use an angle grinder to cut a neat slot across it the thickness of a knockout from a metal electrical box and then use one of those plus a pair of pliers to turn it. If that fails, a chisel and a hammer to turn it using the slots.

Older cases have a 30mm hex head drain plug, I really prefer those because they're a lot harder to strip. Part number 4210 616 or get them free/$1 at the local you-pull. Hell even the dealer only wants like 5 bucks.

Yeah, but those are a M22 x 1.5 threading ... Pretty sure these are pipe threaded now.

I have a box of the older hex head plugs ... Might just have to confirm in the AM ... I'd prefer the old hex plugs personally (1 3/16" socket fits them too).

Last edited:
83$ for a fill plug? That's insane.

And even if he pays that outrageous price, or any other price for a new plug, how does he get the old plug out?

Welding a bolt into the hole is the best and easiest option. There isn't anything to worry about getting too hot in that part of the case anyway. The fluid in the Case will absorb most of the heat

Thats the price of the rear cover, not the plug.

The plug is a simple pipe thread, common at any hardware store.

AFA getting the old one out, a simple propane torch will heat it enough to loosen in up.

I have used torx head sockets very successfully in stripped t-case plugs.

Hammer the torx bit in, heat the case around the plug with the propane torch and it will turn out like it was mounted in butter.

The plug is a simple pipe thread, common at any hardware store.

AFA getting the old one out, a simple propane torch will heat it enough to loosen in up.

I have used torx head sockets very successfully in stripped t-case plugs.

Hammer the torx bit in, heat the case around the plug with the propane torch and it will turn out like it was mounted in butter.

What year/model TC has pipe thread plugs?

If you have the hex plug it's M22, if you have the allen key plug it's pipe thread ... Easy peasy.

If you have the hex plug it's M22, if you have the allen key plug it's pipe thread ... Easy peasy.

Hummm...

I removed my '99 242 internal wrenching plugs and installed the M22 NAPA plugs with no problems.

How does a square peg fit in a round hole?

"If you have the hex plug it's M22, if you have the allen key plug it's pipe thread"

Drive to wherever the welder is at. I have had a stuck 231 drain plug, and it took an 18" cheater bar and heat to break it loose, I highly doubt a slot cut in a flush fitting plug is going to help in removal.

Find a bolt that fits, stop by the welding shop, or the home of a fellow Jeeper, and fix the problem.

Back