• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do when a pitman arm puller fails...

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj, installing a 6.5" long arm kit, comes with a longer drop pitman. Can't get my old one off. Soaked in PB for 2 days, pitman arm puller didn't stand a chance.

So, what's next, aside from throwing out the whole steering box?

Use a grinder with a cutoff wheel, and put a deep slice in the pitman arm, along the length of the splined section. Then use a hammer and chisel to hit the slice until it splits, voila, should come off.
Go as deep as you can with the slice, just avoid damaging the spines.

Use a grinder with a cutoff wheel, and put a deep slice in the pitman arm, along the length of the splined section. Then use a hammer and chisel to hit the slice until it splits, voila, should come off.
Go as deep as you can with the slice, just avoid damaging the spines.

Yea, I that's the route I'm looking at now. Unfortunately don't have a cutoff wheel handy.
While I'm waiting for the cutoff wheel fairy to drop by, would a huge pickle fork fair any better?

You're doing it wrong. Tighten the puller up nice and snug then hit the arm with a hammer to break the taper on the splines. Just blasting down on the puller is not the way to do it, you'll just end up breaking it.

I'd be more inclined to put a torch to it, more PB, torch, PB, torch and so on. Slamming it off or prying it with indeterminate force as opposed to finnessing it off may damage the box.

Patience, Luke Skywalker...may the force be with you!!

How about a combination of all three?

New puller, put some torque on it, torch it for a bit, more PB, more torch, a little more torque, more heat, BFH, more torque ... ?

I'd be a little careful with the sector shaft, it will likely take some abuse, but I wouldn't count on it holding against a pickle fork and a BFH.

I'd try putting a good load on the pitman arm with the puller, then slapping the side of the pitman arm with a BFH where it wraps around the spines ( sector shaft). Slapping the side with a medium hammer and medium force can deform the bond a little and will often get it moving.

If you have to use heat, remember the seals around the sector shaft.

Using the idea of the angle grinder (cut off wheel) is likely to be a better choice than heat, the seal may melt..

I have a selection of pullers, from normal to really big and stout. Maybe a bigger puller?

do NOT use a pickle fork or a torch. Those will definitely damage the box.

you just need a better puller, or slice it as suggested.

You're doing it wrong. Tighten the puller up nice and snug then hit the arm with a hammer to break the taper on the splines. Just blasting down on the puller is not the way to do it, you'll just end up breaking it.

^This. Don't expect the puller to just "pull" it off like other pullers (harmonic, steering wheel, etc). You have to tighten it down as much as possible and then start hitting the pitman arm with a hammer.

Put the Pitman arm puller in place, and apply pressure.

SMACK the Pitman arm with a BFH.

Tighten the Pitman arm puller.

SMACK the Pitman arm with the BFH.

Keep repeating until the Pitman arm falls off.

Put the Pitman arm puller in place, and apply pressure.

SMACK the Pitman arm with a BFH.

Keep repeating until the Pitman arm falls off.
Agree.

Easy as hell, I've never had this fail. Ever. And I live in the rust belt.

Joe and foxwar are right.

You just hit the pitman arm opposite the side it points toward once you've cranked down on the puller nicely.

edit: I just remembered I had a spare one to pull off a junk steering box. Took 5 minutes, steering box sitting on the ground, no breaker bar, just a 3/4 ratcheting box wrench on the pitman arm puller and a few solid whacks with a 4lb BFH. And that was the original steering box out of my 91 MJ in the rust belt, as far as I know it's never been apart.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That did the trick. I'd posted this earlier but didn't notice it wanted me to log back in :p

New puller, torque, PB, heat, PB, heat, hammer hammer hammer, torque, PB, heat, PB, hammer hammer hammer. Took about an hour of this but it came out.

Now just have to figure out the alignment, and I'll be ready to test the new lift way out in the trail where no recovery is likely possible.

do NOT use a pickle fork or a torch. Those will definitely damage the box.

you just need a better puller, or slice it as suggested.

I agree heavily with this.

Smacking it or using a torch is a good way to kill the box.

Back