• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear XJ 44

DaveS98

NAXJA Forum User
So..found a stock 44 on craigslist..text the dude and offered him this computer that has been sitting in my garage for 2 years for a trade...he wants it.

My question is the Xj 44 rear worth building? I've really considered full widths like a 44/60 combo or something similar but don't want to be stupid wide..and don't wanna buy new wheels right now.
Unsure what front axle I'll end up with if I keep the rear 44.

Plans were a decent truss, new mounts, 488s, discs, chromos, and some sort of selectable (Arb, Eaton, ox, zip)..

Will that hold up to 35s (what I'm on now) and possibly 37s down the road.

I wheel east coast..no go fast here (unfortunately).. but I wouldn't mind taking this rig out west once I'm done with the build...

So..thoughts on this rear 44?

Picked up the axle today. No clue wtf it is out of.
Threw it in my jeeo and noticed all kinda weird shit when I got it home.
5x5.5 bolt pattern, 41-11 stamped on ring gear (meaning 373 gears), horrible looking welds on the shock mounts. All kinds of random shit.
One other thing I'm unsure about..if I spin the hub on the left side of the axle the yoke doesn't always spin..just ocassionally..but if I spin the other hub it spins in unison with the yoke.

scout axles are not bad...isn't the pumpkin offset from center on the scouts?

Dave here is my take on the axle. First As to the post quoted from above, no the rear Scout axles are all centered. The fronts are PS drop, which means you have to change options for the transfer case, but that can give you other options. I am real familiar with the Scout axles, so you can PM me for further on those. They are pretty strong, and yes they can handle bigger tires, not sure on the 37s though. One of mine has 35s and has a front 44HD from a 3/4 ton Chevy. Its been setup that way for at least 6 years right now. If you want some wider than stock axles, they can be the way to go. If you don't want to go that route, I might be interested in that axle for its parts for some of my Scouts(hence my nickname here), PM me with regards to that. I would say if you have that one, use it. Its got some of the best aftermarket support for an axle. I am going to be looking for a rare XJ 44, but I will eventually find one, and then set my XJ up the way I want it. This is my advice on the issue.

Jeff

Im considering selling it and going with an 8.8.

37s will be a year or so down the road if not longer.
I may sell it and invest in other things or trade for a front axle to build. I really dont want to go full width..just because I want to retain a streetable rig.. I was thinking a super polished 30 front with a truss, 488s, chromos, a locker, wj knuckles, and custom steering, and a built 8.8

I was thinking a super polished 30 front with a truss, 488s, chromos, a locker, wj knuckles, and custom steering, and a built 8.8

That's EXACTLY what I did and I wish I would have listened when folks told me to build a 44 first. I wasted a boat load of money.

Yes, Wagoneers are low pinion. Mine is LP. Then again, I've never been in a situation that had me wishing it were HP. Would I like for it to be HP? Sure!

Ideally, I'd say find a HP44 front and narrow it but the difference between HP and LP wasn't that important to me so I built a Waggy 44.

Dave here is my take on the axle. First As to the post quoted from above, no the rear Scout axles are all centered.

Jeff

Thanks for clearing that up go for me..wish i can remember what 44 was off center on some vehicles...

As for the waggy question im in the process of installing one right now...i have gone back and forth from hp to lp...the waggy really fell into my lap thats why i went for it...high pinions are great i won't argue you with anyone on that but I have not seen huge benefits just for that FOR WHAT I DO and talking to people if you adjust everything right the low pinion is just as good as the hp....and upgrading to the Jana 54 kit it really beefs up the R&P for this axle...either way if you can get a waggy 44 great...if you can get a hp44 even better (if you dont mind the work to narrow it)

Back