• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Hose Identification Help

Muad'Dib

NAXJA Forum User
I am re-doing my AC system and I have all new hoses except for one that I cant find. This is for a 90 RENIX that originally came with R12. I am putting new hoses in to complete the all new AC system I am putting in which will now run R134a.

The hose is the one that goes from the Expansion Valve to the Filter\Drier. Although I believe most online sources say that its actually from the Evaporator to the Filter\Drier.

Here is a picture for Reference:

2zxmrfq.jpg

Full Size:
http://i40.tinypic.com/156rabs.jpg

Has anyone found this part anywhere or know of a part number? I figured I would post this before I hit the dealer on Monday to see what they can tell me.

I have tried online dealers and they list the part in a parts diagram, but they never list the part or part number in the parts list that usually comes below the diagram. My assumption here is that this part just isn't made any longer and is unavailable.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I had to have all mine made by an AC specialty shop. He said to re-use that one because it's not the porous kind of material.

BTW, are you changing condensors?

I replaced all mine with the new barrier hose for 134a (R-12 hose leaks 134a through the hose wall over time, and the hose material is not meant for 134a. I used a custom shop here in Houston, and they made my hoses for $10 to $20 each, with new fittings. They also made me some custom fittings, especially when I upgraded my AC condenser to the 1997 parallel flow style, which dropped my AC compressor head pressure nearly 100 psi, and reduced my summer overheating issues (like long idles in heavy traffic). The old AC condensers are marginal at best and shorten the life of the compressor. Mine was running at 375 + psi, near the cut off pressure or safety valve (used on older rigs) dump pressure. Replacing the serpentine condenser with a parallel flow condenser (97 jeep OEM style, aftermarket, was about $100), got my max head pressure down to about 280 psi., and the average down to 225 psi.

Everything is brand new., including the Condenser. I was able to find all the parts online except for the hose in my original post.

Here is what is new:

Main Parts:

Evaporator
Expansion Valve
Filter/Drier
Limit Switch
Compressor
Condenser

Hoses:

Evaporator to Compressor w/inline filter
Condenser to filter/drier (new hose replaces the original two piece unit)
Condenser to Compressor

Wanted / Not found yet:

Evaporator to Filter/Drier

I would worst case consider re-using my old hose buts in rough shape and has a slice/bubble in it. Since everything else is brand new it only makes since to get this last piece new also.

If no one else has any pointers, ill be checking with the dealer on Monday to see if I can get a part number at least. I am also going to check with a local AC shop and see if they can make one.

Make sure the hoses you bought are 134a barrier hoses and that the rest, like the drier is for 134a, and don't forget to add the PAG oil!!!

I would shot myself before I reused that old hose in front of the expansion valve!!!!!!!1

Note: I will never shot myself, hint, LOL.

Get an AC hose shop to make you one.

And try to swap the new condenser before you use it for a parallel flow 97-98 model version before you install it.

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/condenser

Last edited:
The majority of the parts I ordered including the hoses were from JeepAir.com. They sell hoses that are compatible with both R-12 and R-134a. The Compressor is also compadible with R-12 and R-134a and is full of double end capped PAG oil.

Since all the parts I have were sitting for quite some time, the return window is gone so I will just use what I have. If I feel that the efficiency of the serpentine Evaporator and Condenser are not up to par, then I will consider at a later date to swap them out. (They are both already installed)

My daughter's 89 still has the old condenser and all the rest is new, except the evaporator, and it has lasted 4 years now (off/on DD use, between major fender bender repairs, LOL), so it has worked OK so far on hers, but not sure it has had a full summer of real HD use yet, as she bought a 2001 Saturn 3 years ago for gas mileage, 80 mile daily work runs and has driven it most of the time.

My old one may have had internal issues on my 87. I would like to hear what peak pressures you see with the new one this summer!!!

I took a look again at my Condenser, and it appears that I lucked out.

The Condenser is made by Spectra, part number 7-4173. I ordered this from RockAuto.com.

From the looks of it, it appears that it is a Parallel flow vs serpentine or Tube\Fin. The rows attach to the ends which are tubes. The rows don't appear to connect to each other indicating a parallel design.

Here is exactly what it looks like:

getimage.php

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=325628

NICE!!!!!

Subscribed...

Trying to do the same thing, but haven't gotten this far along. I'm collecting parts, paycheck to paycheck, then having the shop suck it all dry...putting in the parts...have them fill it with r134a. I'll be watching your progress.

I do not use the A/C much but when I need it, I really need it!

I apologize for the mini-hijack:anon:

Subscribed...

Trying to do the same thing, but haven't gotten this far along. I'm collecting parts, paycheck to paycheck, then having the shop suck it all dry...putting in the parts...have them fill it with r134a. I'll be watching your progress.

I do not use the A/C much but when I need it, I really need it!

I apologize for the mini-hijack:anon:

Would it help you if I put together a parts list and link to where purchased?

I recently had my hoses redone by Arizona Mobile Air http://www.ackits.com/ and they told me that hose didn't need replacing. It was of the type that works fine with R134A and didn't need changing. They did however replace the oring in the quick disconnect end since that was a size I couldn't find myself. They specialize in R134A conversions and are quite knowledgeable so I trust them. To re-do the other hoses with the newer barrier hose cost a little over $100.

I wish I knew about that condenser, I bought a universal one and had to re-do the refrigerant pipes and brackets that hold the condenser in place. OH well.

Last edited:
I recently had my hoses redone by Arizona Mobile Air http://www.ackits.com/ and they told me that hose didn't need replacing. It was of the type that works fine with R134A and didn't need changing. They did however replace the oring in the quick disconnect end since that was a size I couldn't find myself. They specialize in R134A conversions and are quite knowledgeable so I trust them. To re-do the other hoses with the newer barrier hose cost a little over $100.

I wish I knew about that condenser, I bought a universal one and had to re-do the refrigerant pipes and brackets that hold the condenser in place. OH well.

Well unfortunately in my case I HAVE to replace mine since its got a tear and is bulging. Hitting the Dealing and a local AC shop today to see what I can find/do.

Would it help you if I put together a parts list and link to where purchased?
Yes, I too would like to know the parts, manufacturers, and numbers. If it is convenient, please also include where you got each part.

Thanks!

--HappyDog

I sense that summer is coming:flame:...time for the AC and overheating threads to pop up.:D

For an update to this, I found that the Jeep Dealer said part number 4773305 should be what I am looking for. They said I could order it from them, but it would take about 10 days to get. They said it would cost $75.

Instead I found that MAC's Radiator is local to me and they make AC hoses. I went in the shop today and asked them if they could make it. No problem they said, and I was quoted $65. They also have a 1 day turn around. It should be ready for me tomorrow.

For those of you looking for a parts list, I created a separate thread for that. Please see:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245914980

Thanks!

Absolutely...thanks!

Dealing with my exhaust right now. A/C is next. PM me and I'll keep my nose out of this thread.

:yelclap:

Summer is coming around again and here in Ca its going to be blazing.
Paradise were you ever able to retrofit your renix ac to r134?

p.s. sorry for the dead thread bump hasta

I retrofitted two of mine, 87 and 89. Even did my diesel frankenjeep 85 four banger :)

Back