• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting timing on exhaust stroke

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Installing a new cloyes timing set in my 89 4.0
whoever built this motor put the cam roll pin in the wrong hole so when I get #1 cylinder at top dead center on compression stroke the timing dot on the cam gear is 180* away from the dot on the crank gear.

When I rotate the motor one revolution the timing marks line up but now I'm top dead center on the exhaust stroke.

My question is will I have any problems setting up the timing set this way:huh:
I tried to pull the cam roll pin out to install it in the other hole in the cam but it wouldn't come out so I got fed up and installed the timing set now I'm wondering if its possible to have the timing off even though the marks line up on the exhaust stroke but cam dot is 180 away from crank dot on compression stroke

Your thinking into it too hard. As long as the dots align either together or 180* apart, the engine is in time.
When the cam dot is together with the crank dot, #6 cyl is at TDC comp.
When the cam dot is 180 out from crank, #1 is TDC comp.

The important part is the the dots align perfectly when they do come together..

that's what I'm thinking just need confirmation.....common belief is timing must be set number one on compression stroke but I don't see why it can't be set on exhaust when you have a situation like mine where the cam pin is in the wrong hole...even on a motor that has the pin in the right hole and marks line up on number one compression stroke you could time the valves on the exhaust stroke on number one cylinder and have the mark on the cam at 12 o'clock (or 180 away from crank mark) only thing you would have to do then is take dist out and turn rotor position to adjust the firing order?

Thats gets me to another thing I wonder would timing this way with #one at top dead center on exhaust stroke confuse the cam position sensor and have any effect on fuel trim?

Last edited:
Torque spec for the cam bolt is 80ftlbs is that with the bolt dry or lubed....i know the harmonic balancer spec is 80ftlbs also and it calls for the bolt to be lubed

answered my own question....all torque specs assume a clean dry fastener unless otherwise stated.
Time to get this buttoned up and stop bugging you guys with newb questions....

Back