• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove airbags from a 98?

us74k5

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, I want to let my daughter start driving my XJ when we hit the trails, but I am concerned about the airbags. I know the arguments for and against them, and I have seen them go off twice on the trial, so I know it happens. Just looking for mechanical knowledge on how to remove them completely, not just disable. Thanks.

I believe so but unsure on local regulations.

Removing them completely is probably way more work than it's worth - you'll have to pull the airbag module in the steering wheel center pad apart to get it out AFAIK. On a 98 they are electrically activated, so (I know you said you didn't want this, but it's easy and will meet your needs) all you have to do is unplug the airbag control module and both airbags become essentially inert. Depending on whether a recall was performed, the airbag control module on a 97-01 XJ is either under the drivers seat or under the back end of the center console.

I strongly recommend plugging it back in for driving on the road, but that's entirely your call. If you don't want to, clearly I can't make you.

Completely removing them is definitely more trouble than its worth, and will leave you with an empty spot on your steering wheel. The air bag is a sealed unit and the cover is not a separate pice. On the passenger side the cover is a separate piece but I think it attaches to the airbag itself so you have the same problem.

If you are untrusting of just unplugging the control module, you can unplug the air bags themselves, the drivers side plugs into the clockspring and the passenger side has a yellow plug that you can access by removing the top piece of the dash.

My understanding though is that unplugging any part will kick the airbag light on, and if the airbag light is on, none of the airbags will deploy.

Also, FWIW, I've totaled two XJs and I've yet to have the airbags go off. One was a rollover (so not really surprised) and one was me running square into an idiot that ran a stop sign right in front of me at about 30mph. I rolled him. No airbags. If the airbags go off, you probably want them to.

I've heard the opposite from ktm racer 419 - he's had two go off in his face offroad and neither was when he wanted it to.

Really I think it's personal preference. I don't have one (yay 1991 MJ) so it's not even something I need to worry about. My previous jeep was a 1996 with the mechanical airbag and I did strongly consider disabling it offroad - the 95-96 airbag is trivial to disable and reenable at will. I usually forgot to though.

Pulling fuses 26 and 27 will disable the airbags. Plug them back in when you are done.

I've heard the opposite from ktm racer 419 - he's had two go off in his face offroad and neither was when he wanted it to.

Interesting, and makes me wonder more about what it actually takes to get them to go off. Although having seen some of the pictures of ktm racer's rig with him sky driving, I suppose I don't drive quite like that off road (isn't he the only person who has bent Brown Dog's super block mounts)?

Really though, as easy as it is to enable/disable them, if you drive in both places it seems like you should just pull the fuses at the trailhead and plug them back in before you hit the road again.

Thanks for the input amigos. I was actually considering what to do with those left over bags... I would be lying if launching off of them had not came to mind:)

Hey Guys,
I know this post is old..........but, I am looking at a 98 that has had the drivers airbag and the steering wheel removed and replaced with a lil ol "drive wit hancuffs on" steering wheel. Is it expensive, hard, cheap or easy to bring this XJ back to stock condition in the airbag/steering wheel department ?
Any input would be appreciated

Whatever the parts cost at your local junkyard. Bolt them on and plug them in.

Back