• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get those terminals?

foress_89

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, I've come close, but I'm uncertain. I'm fixing the plug for the front lighting harness, and I want to replace all the terminals, but I don't know what to buy. "Weather pack" terminals seems to be the closest I've found, but then it's not the same, so I'm afraid it wouldn't fit nicely in the plug housing. I've added some pictures to make it interesting haha

In case anyone asks, it's a xj 92, with 4.0L, AX15.

8nksp

Count the number of wires in/out.

Measure the gauge of the wires.

Walk into most any auto parts store and tell them you want a connector with x wires of x gauge, and they will either stare at you blankly or get you what you need.

Judging from your location and those pictures, a weather pack type setup would be a good choice.

Just your standard GM-style weather pack connectors. Some come with wires, some dont. Best bed, get some that do and splice/solder/heat shrink the connections.

The goofy factory harness connector for 96 and earlier is something I haven't managed to find yet anywhere except the dealer and the junkyard, it's not a weatherpack and it's not any of the other standard ones I've seen. I've got a sixpack waiting for anyone who can find me the part number (or at least manufacturer and connector product line), the one on my MJ is corroded to hell and back and I want to replace it with brand new but don't feel like going with a non-OEM style connector.

I am systematically replacing the entire connector assy on both sides on all my jeeps.

I did not even need any special tools. Just a a standard wiring tool, needle nose and jewelers screwdriver.

I dislike weatherpacks because they are clunky and annoy me, but even they are better than that particular connector :shiver:

It has no weather proofing whatsoever, brittle retention clips that break off when I look at mine funny, and most of mine has converted itself into green powder.

I would have replaced it completely if I could find one online anywhere. Only reason I'd even go with factory is because I want all my mods to remain factory plug and play when it comes to the wiring harnesses.

Those are VERY useful, especially the last three! But don't seem to include the right connector (which is the front lighting to engine compartment wiring harness connector, located below the front of the air filter housing, just so we're all clear) which fits ??-96 XJs. I'm sure they fit as early as 87 but not sure past that as I don't own or work on any pre-RENIX XJs.

Those are VERY useful, especially the last three! But don't seem to include the right connector (which is the front lighting to engine compartment wiring harness connector, located below the front of the air filter housing, just so we're all clear) which fits ??-96 XJs. I'm sure they fit as early as 87 but not sure past that as I don't own or work on any pre-RENIX XJs.

I think all the under the hood connectors on 87-90 are regular weatherpacks (Cruiser54 correct me if there are a few that are not) and I thought the OP was an 89 at first.

Here is the rest of my bookmarks:

http://www.repairconnector.com/categories/ENGINE-SENSOR-PIGTAIL-CONNECTORS/

This link has more pages, see the left side categories and look for Dephi types, a long list ..

http://www.electricalhub.com/categories/delphi-connectors/630-series-metri-pack

And this site has a huge list as well:

http://www.picowiring.com/catalog.html

Even a cross reference as well listed!

Thanks ecomike and djgrayxj for those links guys! So I'm better off changing the plug type... I would have loved to find oem type terminals tho :( but considering that the plug is poorly designed, I guess it's alright.

I feel like just wiring together with no plugs, since I can't keep it oem lol. Anyway, it's nice to reassemble some info on that in a post, I couldn't find anything searching for "weather pack terminal crimp" and stuff like that.

I hate that stupid connector that plugs the header panel wiring harness (headlights, turn signals, marker lights) into the chassis. Mine is corroded almost as bad as the one from the CherokeeForum post, plus one pin melted, so I had to bypass that particular connection entirely with a short piece of wire as a temp fix.

Does anyone have a pic/diagram of which pins/wires go to which circuits on that connector? I'd like to cut the entire thing off and replace it. Rather than hunting down another single connector with 10 pins I thought I'd replace it with 2 or 3 weatherpack type plugs, say one for the headlight circuit and one for turn signals / marker lights. Hopefully that would make it simpler to troubleshoot and much more reliable (i.e. corrosion proof) than the OEM connector.

Thanks ecomike and djgrayxj for those links guys! So I'm better off changing the plug type... I would have loved to find oem type terminals tho :( but considering that the plug is poorly designed, I guess it's alright.

I feel like just wiring together with no plugs, since I can't keep it oem lol. Anyway, it's nice to reassemble some info on that in a post, I couldn't find anything searching for "weather pack terminal crimp" and stuff like that.

I hate that stupid connector that plugs the header panel wiring harness (headlights, turn signals, marker lights) into the chassis. Mine is corroded almost as bad as the one from the CherokeeForum post, plus one pin melted, so I had to bypass that particular connection entirely with a short piece of wire as a temp fix.

Does anyone have a pic/diagram of which pins/wires go to which circuits on that connector? I'd like to cut the entire thing off and replace it. Rather than hunting down another single connector with 10 pins I thought I'd replace it with 2 or 3 weatherpack type plugs, say one for the headlight circuit and one for turn signals / marker lights. Hopefully that would make it simpler to troubleshoot and much more reliable (i.e. corrosion proof) than the OEM connector.
While you are at it, upgrade the wiring for the headlights/make a harness and run relays.

Back