• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So that's what that noise was..... Opinions?

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm running a 98 XJ, with 31's and ARB's in both axles. I was getting silly up in the snow/mountains and thought I popped a U-joint in the long side shaft. I got it home and pulled the shaft to replace the U-joint and find this:

249192_326123884182991_2059948471_n.jpg

428644_326123774183002_586583201_n.jpg

So I think these were the stock axles, maybe not. They are definately 27 spline (which means the locker is too).

Everything I see on the Superior website is 30 spline, and $1,000 or more. Should I just run down and get a set from a junkyard? I live in a big city and can probably pick up non-specialty parts from a local drivetrain store.

Opinions?? Are the superior "super 30" axles worth triple the cost?

Also, I can't get the broken stub out of the carrier, so thus the carrier won't come out. I thought about turning the Jeep sidways and shaking it up and down, but figured there must be an easier way.

Thanks.

Also, I can't get the broken stub out of the carrier, so thus the carrier won't come out. I thought about turning the Jeep sidways and shaking it up and down, but figured there must be an easier way.

You are going to have to push the stub out. There is kind of a retaining circlip on the end of the shaft. If the shaft was intact a bit of a tug would get the shaft out.

Maybe you can pull the center pin and find something long and drive it out from the drivers side. Factory ten makes stronger replacement axles in 27 spline. And they have a Ten year warranty from what I hear.

The machining makes me think those are stock shafts. I personally won't pay for 30-spline D30 shafts because it is most often the ujoint that breaks and the 30-splines don't solve that problem. I have actually not ever seen a long side break, I've seen plenty of short sides break, but not the long side. Add in that if you bust a 30-spline shaft, you probably can't find a spare on the trail because very few people run them - almost everyone runs 27-spline shafts. A

you may have to drive the broken piece out front the other side like said above you can take the cross shaft out of the carrier. (there is no retaining circlip on the end of the shaft)
as for shafts you can use scrap yard replacements.

To me, it doesn't make much sense to run an ARB with stock shafts. I ran stock shafts on 33's with 760 joints. Ended up breaking the long side shaft right at the splines, the two broken pieces rode up on each other and spread the carrier enough to split the innner bearing race. I'm runnning ten factory alloys now and I am happy. Got them from summit for a round $500 shipped.

have you tried to pull the carrier yet?

Yes. It's stuck on the long side. I tried lightly tapping from the short side with a small diameter stock that I had. It didn't come out readily, but like I said, I can't tell if I'm hitting the broken end of the axle, or on something inside the locker that I would probably regret really hammering on.

Lockouts act as fuses instead of shafts or gears...
ive only seen a lockout break once, before the shaft or ujoints with D44's or 60's, never seen em on a 30 waste of money for lockouts on a 30

Looking at the exploded diagram on quadratec there is unfortunately a cross shaft that will keep you from driving it out from the other side.

Sucks, I hope it didn't munch up the ARB like the first pic BADaXJ posted.

What gears are you running? Any chance you can just say screw it, cut shit apart around the locker, repair it if necessary, slap it in another d30 from the junkyard and keep wheeling? The one nice thing about running 3.55s in my rig is that I can do that without spending more than $130, in fact usually I've gotten em for $free, once from ROBZ95Xj in fact. Otherwise, the gearing sucks :laugh2:

When mine was stuck in the splines, I had to use a very thin piece of flat stock from the other side. It was thin enough to slide by the cross pin. Looks like the ARB has 3 cross pins, forming a cross. Unfortunately this leaves you with a lot less room, but a small enough piece of round stock may do the trick. Last resort, you may have to cut the bearings so the carrier can come out at an angle...

Back