• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

p1899 in a manual xj ?

LEELONG664XXX

NAXJA Forum User
Hi i have a 1996 2dr with the 4.0 HO 5 spd manual trans and it has a check engine light on with code p1899 park/neutral switch stuck in park or in gear. is there a p/n switch in this jeep ? cant find any thing in the wiring diagrams in haynes . jeep has lift 6" .any help would be a blessing at this point .thank you

Last edited:
i,m going to say no to the conversion seems stock nothing hacked up any way. going to check the pcm ,ive had jeep for 3 yrs and had the floors replaced checked all wiring near trans for any thing unpluged or cut nothing to note there all good .will run pcm part number and see what i get.

No P/N switch or clutch safety switch on a 96 unless it is a really really late 96 MAYBE (but doubtful)... check to make sure the ECU is not an auto one for sure. I would suspect someone replaced yours sometime in the past and didn't know they are different.

That being said, I have never seen that code on a 96- even with a manual swap and the auto ECU.

no door tag with the b.o.d ( born on date ) under hood sticker ref. 1996 as yr looking for a vin# decode to see what the options are . Every time i clear codes p1899 comes back in two start ups ... the only good thing bout this is i,m fixing all kinds of things on my way to fixing this ...lol

Well, I am with the others.

Either you have an AUTO PCM installed, or your PCM is losing its mind.

I don't think a manual equipped vehicle's PCM can generate a P1899, at least for 95-97 as there is no parts listing on NAPA for a clutch safety switch.

97s had clutch safety switches but 96 and earlier certainly never did.

97s had clutch safety switches but 96 and earlier certainly never did.

That is what I get for being lazy--couldn't remember so I checked for parts on napaprolink.com--they don't list a clutch switch under any nomenclature I can think off so I ASSUMED the 97 didn't have one, yet there it is in the 97-99 parts manual. :confused1

pulled #s off a white tag with bar codes on pcm AG90xjLQ , P56041

if any one can tell me if these are the # for the pcm and what yr. or model they ref. Thanks

P56041 is the start of the part number - the rest is another 3 numbers followed by one or two letters, probably printed near the P56041 and in a larger font.

Yep 56028852 manual trans for 1996 yr and 56041155 is part# for auto trans pcm. Bummer for me ,did not have any codes before i had floors replaced and now ....humm wonder if shop replaced pcm for some reason and ....oh well at least i know whats up now . Thanks to all the guys for the great help will be back i,m sure lol.

yep there you go... any sign of the connectors on the ECU being messed with or the screws mounting it having been turned recently?

cant tell but pcm has crayon writing in blue sooo salvage yard part . Thinking when they did the floors the battery was still hooked up and when the wielding was done it blew out the pcm and they did a salvage yard r&r. just a guess but its my problem now .

That shouldn't have blown anything out - unless they screwed up badly. I have literally never unplugged the ECU on any of my jeeps while welding on them.

I don't know the back story but I'd go confront the shop... no reason you should have to deal with it.

looks like the pcm gets ground at the A6 pin from the P/N switch. Going to run this A6 pin to ground and see what happens ...either way it will work or i fry pcm . I,m ok with that.

Lemme check my 96 FSM that just so happens to be sitting within arms reach... kinda glad I got rid of that jeep, glad I kept the manual.

edit: yeah, looks like it's just grounded on mantrans vehicles. In fact yours is probably already grounded. If you have an FSM, check page 8W-30-13, 8W-21-3, and 8W-11-6 for the relevant wiring diagrams.

Last edited:
Back