• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker Skipping

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an aussie in my D30, it's a few years old but has very few miles on it. Last year I had a shaft break at the splines and destroy the carrier. I just got it back up and running but now the aussie is terrible. It was quiet as can be before, but now it's pretty loud, doesn't release as well as it used to and the teeth jump under medium load. Hard load it will lock up. All the teeth looked brand new to me when I installed it this time... I did also just install some ten factory shafts, which were a pretty tight fit on the splines. I had to lightly tap them into place. I can see that causing problems for releasing, but not locking. All gaps are within spec, carrier is brand new, cross pin is in good shape and I have thrust washers installed on both sides. I installed it the exact same way/ orientation that it came out. Any ideas? If it's the shaft splines, what the heck am I going to do about that?

Spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the engineers at Aussie, seems that the most likely cause is a slightly bent or a soft cross pin that was flexing. Apparently a variance of .002" can cause engagement problems...

Reason i ask is my locker is noise and at times when turning it sounds more like a clunking noise vs the click. (I have an aussie in my 44 as well).

Reason i ask is my locker is noise and at times when turning it sounds more like a clunking noise vs the click. (I have an aussie in my 44 as well).

Mine does this as well. Only on really sharp turns. Like uturns and in parking lots. It works perfectly in the rocks though. No problems other than the clunks when turning sharply

ok that makes me feel a bit better... In the rear it has very little noise to it what so ever. Ive had that for 3 to 4 yrs now. But just got one in my front and i was worried about it. Thanks

Back