• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper radiator hose swap

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So I've seen mention that on some years the XJ upper rad hose ran behind the A/C pump.

I would prefer to route my hose behind rather than over like my 2000 currently does ... what year would get me a behind the A/C pump hose?

I'm currently undergoing a steering box, Radiator, water pump, motor mounts and whatever else I can fit in while home swap, over the next couple days. all of it's out and I'm going to start tossing it all back together tomorrow. Figured it was good a time as any to rework the hose routing.

Thanks
Dave

what engine would really help/
if its 4.0, my 89 has the hose behind the ac...

Correct.

I think all Renix models made between 1987 and 1990 have the hose behind the AC compressor.

Im pretty sure the over vs behind differance is for a/c, or no a/c... If youve got a hose that rubs the underside of the hood because its routed on top of the a/c compressor, i think it might have been replaced with the wrong part.

I allways buy the one for a/c, as it will work on any 4.0 xj, worst case scanario, theres a un needed extra bend...

My '00 was over the A/C pump, that was stock routing for that year ... it's for coil rail clearance.
I ended picking up an '89 4.0L A/C hose and it's perfect. Now I can work on adding a bleed valve into the system ... after I replace the rad, add in PS and trans coolers, VC gasket, Lower hose, and so on ... water pump and steering box was yesterday

i just replaced mine, again, because they swelled up when my trans cooler failed and ATF mixed with coolant.

anywho, when i replaced it at first the hose i got ran over the A/C pump which i didnt really like because it ran a little too close to the battery for my liking and, like sandsgg said it rubbed on the hood.

when i went into the parts store for the new one they asked if i had A/C or not, i said i did and when he gave me the hose it was the same type. so i asked if he would grab the one for no A/C and it runs behind the pump. this makes zero sense to me. it seems like the A/C hose would need to run behind it not over it.

so i guess what i'm trying to say is ask for the hose for a cherokee without A/C and if its like the parts stores in my town it should run behind the pump

I remember reading about that issue ... Chrysler screwed up the parts list and the Aftermarket ended up recording things backwards. Then when Chrysler went oops it was too late to change it all back, some did, many didn't bother.

For the later years there was only one hose anyway though ... my 2000 for example.

I Believe My 90 Was Above The Compressor, I Remember It Hitting The Hood And Wearing The Paint off

Has that been part of you overheating problem? Crushed upper hose with the hood closed?

Back