• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine/Tranny Skid with Long Arms?

XJsportG

SouthEast #4328 (RVA)
NAXJA Member
Currently I am on short arms but am looking at going to long arms in the near future. I have a Skidrow Engine skid and would like to keep the added protection of the tranny pan and oil pan.

But since you have to cut the stock LCA mounts where it connects it wont be possible.

I don't have a XJ with long arms near me to lay underneath and plan it out. Wondering if anyone had any ideas or experience with this before.

JP-2001_Install1_Wi-Front.jpg

JP-2001_View1_Wi.jpg

I know the rustys skid looks the same and has the option of mounting to the upper arm mount for use with long arms. I would think you would need to clearance it for any kit but may not be worth it in some cases

Since you already have it, do not see why you would not be able to modify it to still fit, whether using upper mount or making a plate that bolts to the frame where with LCA is currently.

Yup, probably just needs some simple mods to make it fit. Honestly, I wheel a lot on tall, sharp, pointy rocks (well, you aren't far from me, so you'll probably be going to Gore and Rausch Creek also) and I've never come close to hitting the oil pan. Only thing even close is I've pushed the downpipe into the trans pan, but it just put a small dent in the pipe. I've only heard of wranglers hitting their oil pans.

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of modding it, but I want to lay underneath with long arms visualize it and see what I could do. I was thinking about using the UCAs or using the frame possible welding some brackets to bolt on to.

It's not the oil pan which I'm worried about. Mainly the tranny pan. I've already put a major dent in it at Oak Ridge.

i have a TNT belly that extends over the trans pan a bit, I really don't see the need for more protection. It's almost impossible to get rock up in your junk further forward than that. Almost.

I smashed the exhaust crossover into the front of the tranny pan hard enough for it to pop the seal on the pan. Had to drop the pan and reseal it on the trail. It took a pointy rock hiding behind a boulder at exactly the wrong place to come up in between the lcas and driveshaft, but it is possible.

Back