• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with engine with no freeze plugs

bigalpha

Engine has lost its freeze plugs and has been sitting empty and open to the environment for a number of year. Other than flushing the system before installing the new freeze plugs, is there anything else that should be done?

If you have access to a camera probe I would try and visually inspect as much of the block's interior as possible--rodent nests, hornets nests--things that might not "flush" out with water from a garden hose.

Unfortunately, we don't have access to a camera probe.

Then I would flush it out with the HIGHEST PSI pressure washer you can borrow or rent.

Is the concern just junk and debris in there, or rust and corrosion as well?

More junk and debris--it will end up blocking water passages and creating hotspots in the engine.

The rust/scale you should be able to deal with with a few HD cleanings.

Is the engine disassembled, or are you going to disassemble it? If so, find a machine shop to tank the block for you.

Okay, we'll make sure to check the coolant frequently and do some more frequent changes.

Not disassembled and no plans to disassemble it.

I'd put a new water pump on it. My $.02

Why's that?

My "guess" as to his suggestion to replace the WP--which I agree with--is that after sitting the seals will fail in a very short time.

My "guess" as to his suggestion to replace the WP--which I agree with--is that after sitting the seals will fail in a very short time.

What he said. The seals are probably dried out. Of course in a perfect world you would change all the seals and gaskets, but I'm getting the impression that this is a budget thing.

I would break down and do the mainseals and oil pan gasket before you drop it in. Those are much easier to do with the engine out.

What he said. The seals are probably dried out. Of course in a perfect world you would change all the seals and gaskets, but I'm getting the impression that this is a budget thing.

I would break down and do the mainseals and oil pan gasket before you drop it in. Those are much easier to do with the engine out.

flush coolant and oil before dropping it in and maybe a new oil pump for cheap insurance

Yes, this is a budget thing. The Jeep has been sitting for a while and we're just trying to get it running again. Unfortunately, the engine is still in place.

We did as good a flush as we could of the cooling system - lots of rust came out. We'll make sure to a couple of flushes after it's running. We're working out a fuel delivery issue right now.

Back