• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire/rim size dilemma...Help needed

Mute9937

NAXJA Forum User
I have tried searching for answers but have not found exactly what i'm looking for. I just did a Cut n' fold front and rear and have TJ flares i'm going to mount.

Where I need help is what width rim and tire do I need 'fill' the 4.25" flare?
Here are the size combos i'm looking at, all with 3.75 bs...
31x10.5 on a 15x8
33x12.5 on a 15x8
33x12.5 on a 15x10
Pics would help me figure it out also

*I do not want any opinions about TJ flares or lift heights. Just about the question above.

Jut stick with the 15x8 rims. They will look better and perform better aired down as well. The 10" rims would stick out 2" farther with equivalent back spacing

I would keep it flareless if it were legal here...but since its not, i try to push my legal coverage limit.

How would the 8in wheel with a 10.5 tire look with 2in more flare than stock?

Last edited:
I would keep it flareless if it were legal here...but since its not, i try to push my legal coverage limit.

How would the 8in wheel with a 10.5 tire look with 2in more flare than stock?

Depending on the specific tire, would be close.
I run 31x10.5 MTR-k's on stock BS ZJ Canyon wheels with no flares and they barely stick out further than the fenders.

No sure about UT, but here in CA it's no more than 3" tread out from fender/flare

I'm running 33x12.5 on a 15x8 with 4" BS. Stock flares pretty much cover the tire.

35x12.5 15 on 7" stock rims. 1.5" spacers up front. 2" spacers in the rear because of the 8.8 width

Stick with the 8" it will hold the bead better when you air down.........

ytete7er.jpg

Depending on the specific tire, would be close.
I run 31x10.5 MTR-k's on stock BS ZJ Canyon wheels with no flares and they barely stick out further than the fenders.

No sure about UT, but here in CA it's no more than 3" tread out from fender/flare

I wish the law was like that here, 100% covered in Utah...thats why the question came up.

Does anyone have Bushwacker cutout flares with 31s on 15x8s and 3.75 bs and have opinions on tire coverage?

Last edited:
Where did you come up with the 3" number? All I could find in the vehicle code was to sufficient coverage to adequately control spray of mud or water to the rear of the vehicle. With that definition, one could argue no coverage needed on clear dry roads?

Where did you come up with the 3" number? All I could find in the vehicle code was to sufficient coverage to adequately control spray of mud or water to the rear of the vehicle. With that definition, one could argue no coverage needed on clear dry roads?

IIRC, my buddy Nick who works for the State Park Rangers told me this. Or someone else in some type of L.E. agency.
If you have mud flaps the same width as the tire fender covereage shouldn't matter also..

Last edited:
Back