• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle degree shims!! need help

1998xjspt

NAXJA Forum User
a friend of mine says ima really need them but im thinking i dont..are shims a must for any lift? im in the process of installing an RE3.5 and i dont want to buy shims if i dont have to

the need for shims, and the degree of shimming, is dependent on your pinion angle and if you have a SYE installed.

2joint_angle.gif

cv_angle.gif

I believe there is a rough estimate chart...google it. or do the angle finder thing. Get steel ones and NOT aluminum. They become brittle and spilt. Also, they are not expensive unless you think $30 is expensive...I'm gonna say you need a 2-3 degree shim though, however, it jsut depends on each jeep. I have seen jeeps need them and others with the exact same lift and within 1-2 model years of one another not need them.

Last edited:
what if i install shims and no SYE? the slip yoke is not flling out but i do feel vibes around 25-35mph. not sure if vibes are coming because of slip yoke or pinion angle

Stop screwing around on the internet and measure. The only way to be sure is to measure the angles, every jeep and every lift is different, depends on brand, lift height, year of jeep, whether the lift is leaf only, shackle only, or both, etc etc etc. Also depends on how worn the springs are and even a bit from lot to lot probably. Just measure, the angle finder is like 10 bucks at home depot and will tell you for sure.

X2 - changing the shackles directly affects the axle angle and thus interferes with the shim calculation.

My method is not scientific but worked for me -

Drive at different speeds
Listen for vibration from the drive line, especially when accelerating
Eyeball the angle and add shims, starting small (2 degrees)
Repeat until vibration is gone

This assumes the rest of the vehicle is sound and your shaft is balanced.

I've seen people with SYE who did not need shims
I've seen people who resolved it through a TC drop
I've seen people with SYE and shims that still have vibrations :)

Back