• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bellhousing bolt size

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
This bolt backed out and set off on its own

null_zpsc376a27b.jpg

Pass side bellhousing to engine block bolt located right above upper started bolt, anyone know for sure what size?

00 4.0 AW4

TIA

This bolt backed out and set off on its own

null_zpsc376a27b.jpg

Pass side bellhousing to engine block bolt located right above upper started bolt, anyone know for sure what size?

00 4.0 AW4

TIA

Check my site (www.kelleyswip.com/tech.html) for length, but I know the upper screws (E12 head) are 3/8"-16 thread, and the lower screws (regular hex head) are 7/16"-14. Get 'em anywhere.

I have your page bookmarked, went back and realized it was on the torque settings

Thanks

What's the length?

As I said, I don't know offhand.

If I don't have it listed on the site, then measure the thickness of the flange and add the nominal diameter of the screw. If it falls "between quarters," (say, 2-1/16"UHL,) then get the next size longer (2-1/4", in this case.)

The thumb rule for maximum strength of a screwed joint is 1-1.5d in thread engagement (with d being the nominal diameter.) For a bolted joint (mating internal and external threads on wrought fastener, vice wrought male thread into mating thread in part,) it's full engagement in the nut plus 1-2 threads (just for the sake of completeness.)

Likewise, if I happen to have a measured UHL (Under Head Length) "between quarters," get the next quarter longer. If it's going into a blind hole, pick up some flat washers as well, you may need them to prevent the screw bottoming out in the hole.

Back