• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj won't turn off!

alex673

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys
I've searched for this problem on the forum and can't find it, so here goes...
I have had a problem over the last couple of days with my 95 XJ 4.0 Auto.
After starting up, sometimes it doesn't want to turn off. I can remove the key and the engine keeps running. I have to block air flow to the engine to stop it.
I thought it may have something to do with either the starter motor or alternator, as also my battery went flat last night, but now I'm not so sure.
Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers
Alex

I would look at the ignition switch up under the dash first.

Agree.

Look at the ignition switch--not the lock cylinder--and that is your most likely culprit "off the cuff". Secondary could be a stuck relay, but check the switch first.

Joe is right!!!! As usual, LOL! Ignition switch is toast. Has nothing to do with the starter or alternator. Next time just pull the primary spark wire to kill it.

Mine did this to me once. Pretty sure t was a stuck relay. Not sure which one cause I just banged on the under hood fuse block and it shut off and it hasn't done it again. I'm sure it will again one day.

Joe is right!!!! As usual, LOL! Ignition switch is toast. Has nothing to do with the starter or alternator. Next time just pull the primary spark wire to kill it.

if you're gonna kill it this way, make sure to disconnect the negative battery cable after it's shut down. Whatever is keeping it running (most likely, the ignition switch) will continue to let electricity flow through all the circuits and kill the battery over night..... as you saw last time.

if you're gonna kill it this way, make sure to disconnect the negative battery cable after it's shut down. Whatever is keeping it running (most likely, the ignition switch) will continue to let electricity flow through all the circuits and kill the battery over night..... as you saw last time.
Yepp yepp.

You can also pull the ADS relay under the hood to kill it.

On Renix I would pull the fuel pump relay.

If/when you have to emergency shutdown without a working ignition switch again, all you have to do is pull the ASD and/or fuel pump relays out of the PDC. Either one should kill it, the fuel pump one may take a little longer for it to shut off due to residual fuel in the rail.

Back