• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton 3 link and frame stiffeners (TNT)?

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone ever run both? If so can you post pictures? We are going to be getting this combo for my buds 97. Our concern is the top control arm mount looks like it matches right with the stock uni-body. Anyone know if there is room to make it fit or are we stuck with chopping the stiffeners to leave the upper control arm mount on the unibody. We do not know how to weld and we would be having friends that can do it so I don't want to dump an ugly project on them without guidance. Pictures for reference:

clayton 3 link:
http://claytonoffroad.com/documents/3501000.pdf

TNT frame stiffeners:
http://www.tntcustoms.com/JeepcherokeeXJZJuni-bodystiffeners-2.aspx

thanks for any help/input

I have mine right on top of my ruffstuff stiffeners. Works great

I would guess that before welding that there is a slight gap between the inner wall of the brace and the frame. You can probably contact Clayton and ask for dimensions and such. When you order, you could tell them that you will be running XXX frame stiffeners and have them bend one to your needs if they do not already allow for a gap.

Unibody stiffeners cover the bottom and outside of the rail, uca mount is on the inside. The stiffeners should go on first, as you will have a much better surface to weld the crossmember ends to. Lowering the entire crossmember by 3/16" will not affect the uca mounts functionality.

I have mine right on top of my ruffstuff stiffeners. Works great

That's the exact same set up I will be running. Have nothing installed yet. Would also love to see some pics of it. Also I have the Clayton belly skid plate. Can't wait to get it all installed! Need to get off my lazy ass and get it done!

That's the exact same set up I will be running. Have nothing installed yet. Would also love to see some pics of it. Also I have the Clayton belly skid plate. Can't wait to get it all installed! Need to get off my lazy ass and get it done!

Do it! You/your body/any passengers will be thankful you did. And you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Do it! You/your body/any passengers will be thankful you did. And you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

The only major thing thats holding me up is getting my axles all together. Im going JK 44's front and rear. Also installing a TJ 242OR t-case and the same time. So its going to be a little while before its all said and done. With a wife and three kids on a Military salary, finances get a little tight sometimes!

I just trimmed the unibody wraparound so the clayton bracket just welded to the inside of the unibody, the clayton arm mount and the bottom of the stiffeners. With roughly 12 linear inches of weld holding it on, I don't think it will be much of an issue.

The only major thing thats holding me up is getting my axles all together. Im going JK 44's front and rear. Also installing a TJ 242OR t-case and the same time. So its going to be a little while before its all said and done. With a wife and three kids on a Military salary, finances get a little tight sometimes!

Honestly, with the drop out 3-rd link for the cross member, I would do the stiffeners and the cross member soon. If anything you can wait on the rest. Not sure how much you drive/wheel your heep currently, but they will help same the uniframe.

Honestly, with the drop out 3-rd link for the cross member, I would do the stiffeners and the cross member soon. If anything you can wait on the rest. Not sure how much you drive/wheel your heep currently, but they will help same the uniframe.

The Heep hasn't been driven in almost a year. When I picked it up I realized it was scary to drive on the interstate only doing 55 mph. The thing was all over the place. It didn't have a sway bar in the front and some make shift track bar relocation bracket. So that was my first priority to fix. I wanted to make it as safe as I could for the wife to enjoy driving. Then I was going to replace all the bushings on the control arms cause, was running short arms with drop bracket. was a very harsh ride. Well then when I had that all apart one thing lead to another and well both axles the t-case and everything ended being sold off! Now almost a year later I just about have all major end pieces I need to start getting everything mocked up and put it back together! I knew it was going to take some time, but in the end I think it will be well worth it. Jk Rubi 44's, TJ 241OR t-cas, Clayton 3-link with ORI struts, Alcan rear leafs, and sitting on 37's. Guess we will see how she does in the end.

I know andrew (bluejeep kid) personally and i must say his set up is amazing. Get it burned in! Im running hd offroad stiffeners with rk 4 link brackets (burned in of course and only plan on running 3 links on the trail) on my rig. Its still in progress but i should be able to let you know how it goes in about three weeks.

Back