• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

f***ing chinese parts! where to buy a decent clutch master cylinder?

skyb44

NAXJA Forum User
After laboring over my clutch master cylinder and carefully bleeding the hell out of it, i'm left with a clutch that loses pressure if i let the pedal come up completely. As far as I can tell it's due to a defective master cylinder- it's one of those 29.99 advance auto specials with no markings on its crappy cast body.

It seems that when pressed from full "up" position the fluid level rises in the reservoir rather than being forced into the slave cylinder as intended.

So while I should be able to do the next clutch master fairly rapidly, i'd rather that be the last one for awhile.

My options appear to be:

quadratec- 69 bucks claims to be "OEM"

Napa- don't know the price but I imagine they'll have one in stock.

ebay "mopar OEM new old stock" for around 42 dollars- Should I be worried about the seals drying out from sitting around? This seems to be the best deal...

ACdelco from rock auto for 66 dollars

various others also available at this link
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1179996,parttype,1996

or a rebuild kit from Rockauto-
dorman, raybestos or off brand http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1179996,parttype,2000

The cylinder i pulled out seems to be of high quality- probably original- it says "japan" on the side. I haven't popped out the snap ring to inspect it. I replaced it due to a small amount of fluid leaking into the cabin above my fuse box which concerned me. Is a cylinder of this quality even available?

The jeep is driveable like this, but I'd like to get it sorted asap.

I ended up going with the master/slave prebleed combo from Rockauto on my 98'. I havent had any issues with it. I would go this route again if I had to do it all over again. The only pain in the butt was having to remove the brake booster to get the hard line out from behind it.

I ended up going with the master/slave prebleed combo from Rockauto on my 98'. I havent had any issues with it. I would go this route again if I had to do it all over again. The only pain in the butt was having to remove the brake booster to get the hard line out from behind it.

do you happen to remember what brand? the 1990 xj has an internal slave cylinder which i do not fancy changing.

After laboring over my clutch master cylinder and carefully bleeding the hell out of it, i'm left with a clutch that loses pressure if i let the pedal come up completely. As far as I can tell it's due to a defective master cylinder- it's one of those 29.99 advance auto specials with no markings on its crappy cast body.

It seems that when pressed from full "up" position the fluid level rises in the reservoir rather than being forced into the slave cylinder as intended.

So while I should be able to do the next clutch master fairly rapidly, i'd rather that be the last one for awhile.

My options appear to be:

quadratec- 69 bucks claims to be "OEM"

Napa- don't know the price but I imagine they'll have one in stock.

ebay "mopar OEM new old stock" for around 42 dollars- Should I be worried about the seals drying out from sitting around? This seems to be the best deal...

ACdelco from rock auto for 66 dollars

various others also available at this link
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1179996,parttype,1996

or a rebuild kit from Rockauto-
dorman, raybestos or off brand http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1179996,parttype,2000

The cylinder i pulled out seems to be of high quality- probably original- it says "japan" on the side. I haven't popped out the snap ring to inspect it. I replaced it due to a small amount of fluid leaking into the cabin above my fuse box which concerned me. Is a cylinder of this quality even available?

The jeep is driveable like this, but I'd like to get it sorted asap.

I got mine from Napa. Was made in Italy. Moto bene!!

I hate parts made by WunHungLo and his buddies.

Don't buy reman parts..... No matter who makes them I always buy new parts when it comes to a master cylinders. Just less headache.

Do a search on here for Howe master cylinders.

got the ACdelco installed today- fit perfectly, I just filled it with fluid, connected it, and pumped a few times and the reservoir bubbled a bit, a few more pumps and it was perfect.

42 dollars on ebay shipped. not bad. the chinese one is going back tomorrow.

interesting side note- the dealer price (if they could get me the one left in stock in california) was 260 dollars.

Back