• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First jeep build

Ericlouie1

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wanting to build a jeep for a long time, so when i stumbled across a bone stock 01 xj for a steal, i couldn't pass it up.
Needed a cooling system redo, but no a bad piece overall-

Course i had to wheel it stock, so a trip to RC was in order, this is one of the best pics of the day-

So yeah, i got kinda hooked, took advantage of some of the awesome black fridays sales and got myself a big pile of parts, as well as bartered for a HP d30-

Also did a crapload of research, and reading, and decided on a respectable setup that should be plently capable. Clayton 6.5 3link, WJ brakes and flipped steering, integrated rock rails/airtanks modified JCR diy bumpers with mini-comp cuts/rails, 315/75/16 tire, ruffstuff unibody stiffiners as well as front extensions, steering box brace, 231 swap, hack&tap, 4:56 gears, spartan front, lincoln rear. Anyways, enough of my rambling, heres some pictures.-

Last edited:
what size tire is that in english? lol

6.5 seems alittle tall, and I would do the stiffeners before you beat the hell out of your frame rails. I know i wish I did.

Anywho's I'd like to get it completly done by may, i still gotta re-gear the front axles(building the case spreader is a biotch), winch, electric fan, yada yada yada. Thanks for looking, enjoy!

Tire size works out to be 35x11.9, I kinda built the rig around the tires, got them in labor trade to do a headgaskets on a cadillac caterra. I'm still not sure who got the better deal on that one, that job was a nightmare.

Just and FYI for everyone, when i did the OTK steering setup, I used WJ TRE's all around, as well as the goferit offroad inserts. Only differnet between this setup and a standard below knuckle, is that you need to use a RHD tie rod for the passenger knuckle to drag link.
I used the Following-
3x- Goferit inserts
2X- JKS OGS930 Flange Spacers
1- JKS OGS956 Drag Link
1- JKS OGS955 Tie Rod
1- Crown Auto 52088512 RHD TRE
1- Moog ES3475 TRE for pittman
1- Moog ES3472 Drag Link TRE
1- Moog ES3473 Drag Link TRE
I also replaced the unit bearings for some nice timken units, and used a set of sintered ball joints that i got from one of the vendors here.
I had to do a slight bit of trimming to the front of the coil perches, like a 45* cut, to allow the drag link to clear. Swaybar brackets need to be moved, and I'm not sure about the trackbar, I was moving it anyways, so I can't answer if the factory one will clear.
Hope this helps some people.

Back