• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 axle?

Clay_l

NAXJA Forum User
i could use some help on a question i have and figured id turn to you guys. im looking for a non disco front 30 for my 92 cherokee since mine is trashed on the driver side. i found a guy with an axle out of a 99 and was wondering if it would work on my 92 or if i would have to change alot of stuff. i have 3.55's in my 30 now and might have to swap them over to this one, is there any issue doing that as well? thanks for taking the time to read and help.

same axle. i dont know why you'd have to swap gears unless he changed them or he has a 4 cyl or manual trans.
unit bearings and brakes could be different, however if you swap everything over you shouldnt have an issue.

Axle is a direct swap , you just need to plug you old vacuum lines.

When you change carriers/gears you will likely need to set the gears up again as no 2 gears or carriers are exactly the same.

Axle is a direct swap , you just need to plug you old vacuum lines.

When you change carriers/gears you will likely need to set the gears up again as no 2 gears or carriers are exactly the same.

No vacuum lines, mine is non disco as well, just a bent c mount. And I can easily set them up, I wrench for a living so I've done a few lol

your golden...both are high pinion...mounts are the same...only thing different would be the brakes IIRC...but thats nothing to be concerned about...i did something similar to my xj i purchased a 91 disco with 4.88s but the perches were rotted and swapped them into a 98 hp d30 without a problem...good luck with the swap

If you have 3.55 gears, it would be easier and probably cheaper to find a HP D30 with 3.55 gears. Any 4.0L with AW-4 Automatic will have 3.55 gears. Always confirm the gear ratio and differential/gear condition before you buy. Swapping gears is not plug and play, you need some specialized tools and technical skills.

i believe his was a 5 speed. and did the later models come with 3.55's?
manual/4.0 combo came with 3.07s. autos came with 3.55s, and there are axles EVERYWHERE. get one of those instead. i think somewhere around 93/94 (im likely wrong... someone correct me) they changed the unit bearing design and also made 297 Ujoint standard.

id look to verify your gear ratio. then look for an complete axle with 297s. be sure to open up the diff and look at the carrier. i did this with mine, and upon closer inspection still feel a little uneasy about running it.

99 was the year in which they switched mid year to a low pinion axle with slightly different unit bearings and brake rotors. It wouldn't be a bad deal if it's from the first half of the year and had the 3.55 gear setup.

In the NAXJA FAQ's is all you ever wanted to know about swapping unit hubs/calipers/rotors/steering knuckles. -->> ( Differnces in unit hubs/calipers/rotors/steering knuckles )

2000-01 was when low pinion axles were installed, and all axle parts except the ring and pinion will swap, high pinion vs. low pinion axles.

Last edited:
If you have 3.55 gears, it would be easier and probably cheaper to find a HP D30 with 3.55 gears. Any 4.0L with AW-4 Automatic will have 3.55 gears. Always confirm the gear ratio and differential/gear condition before you buy. Swapping gears is not plug and play, you need some specialized tools and technical skills.

I've done quiet a few gear swaps so I know what I'm doing there and do this for a living. Just never sure with Cherokee axles because my wheeling platforms and what not come from the yj platform since it was my first jeep. And the only d30 non disco with 3.55's that I can find is over an hour away and costs over $300... I can grab this one with the larger u joints and rebuild the diff with the gear swap for less than $200.

Last edited:
Whatever works for you. Around here I can buy any axle at the U-Pull-It junkyard for $ 96. XJ D44, D30, Chry 8.25, and Ford 9 are all the price.

Last edited:
I wish I could. Jeep stuff goes for an outrageous premium here in Colorado. Even from pull and pay places the axles are $150

thats what i payed for mine...

still better (IMO) to get an axle already geared to what you need, swap everything from your brakes out, and pick up a set of spare axle shafts along the way... if i had the provisions to regear an axle, i wouldnt bother with putting a set of used, stock ratio gears in it. id be going deeper.

but, as said, what ever works for you.

thats what i payed for mine...

still better (IMO) to get an axle already geared to what you need, swap everything from your brakes out, and pick up a set of spare axle shafts along the way... if i had the provisions to regear an axle, i wouldnt bother with putting a set of used, stock ratio gears in it. id be going deeper.

but, as said, what ever works for you.

Ya if I had the funds i would do deeper gears, like 4.53's, and I also wouldn't be putting a d30 under the Cherokee. If my wrangler sells il put a 44 in

Back