• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans mount/crossmember question

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I just replaced the tranny mount in my '99. I am pretty sure I have the offset going in the same direction as the original and that I didn't get the crossmember turned around. But I can't get the crossmember bolt holes to line up with the body. I am reluctant to brute force the transmission to one side to get the bolts in, so before I do anything drastic (or stupid) I thought I'd try to verify that the mount and crossmember are correctly oriented. Can someone tell me how to tell if they are facing the right direction? Thanks if you can help.

Last edited:
The wider side of the trans mount goes to the passenger side - AKA the side with more metal hanging off the bottom flange past the four studs. I always do it the easy way and just match the new trans mount up with the layer of grime and grease residue on the top of the crossmember...

You can tell which side of the crossmember is the passenger side because the rear top edge will have a dent in it to clear the exhaust right where it dips down to enter the cat.

Once you double check everything's facing the right way, I usually just ratchet strap it into position, get the nut started on one stud, then ratchet strap and bottle jack it into position on the stud on the other side, then get the bolts started. I'm lazy.

Well, I got everything to line up and got the crossmember bolted up. Then I went to do the final tightening of the nuts on the tranny mount to crossmember studs. Was going for 40 foot pounds because I read somewhere that was the right torque. Snapped one right off!

Oh well. Going to SoCal Fest next weekend one stud short. Will order a new mount and start from scratch another day. You just have to laugh at some of the stuff that goes wrong.

I have been missing one of the nuts from mine for... I don't even know how long. Probably two years now.

Hasn't caused me any issues :gee:

Back