• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear driveshaft vibes after re-torquing sye yoke

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I installed a PORC sye kit and a Tom Woods shaft into my 01 xj. 33's, 4.56's about 6 months ago.

I had front driveshaft vibes for like 2 years, and I finally fixed all the vibes... it was perfect. Smoothest in 5 years.

On tuesday, I inspected my rear driveshaft and noticed that the sye yoke was totally loose. So I marked the driveshaft/yoke (so I could reinstall it the same way), took the shaft off, tightened the yoke to 150 ft/lbs as stated in the directions for the SYE kit. Reinstalled the shaft, and properly tightened the bolts.

Just took it on the freeway today, and there's a strong droning vibration from 50+. WTF.... I had just fixed this totally. I inspected the shaft and yoke, both look good. Did I maybe over tighten it?

Thanks!

-Sean

Yes. Damn that sucks. I know the shaft is hardened, so maybe I can simply replace the yoke. I torqued it to spec originally, I guess it worked loose. Really lame. Haven't even wheeled it yet.

So I actually loosened the driveshaft yesterday, jacked up one of the wheels and kind of tapped the joint with a hammer hoping to seat it better, tightened it back up in an opposing pattern, and the vibes are gone! Such a relief. Thanks for the help guys.

So I actually swapped in a new tcase, it had only 60K on it, and I put the PORC sye in it too. Initially, it still vibrated with the new case.

I put my nicer tom woods shaft in the back, and put my good condition front shaft (that I was using with my hack n tap) up front. I adjusted the pinion angle to precisely zero degrees, and magically, most of the vibes are gone. I can cruise to about 71, then the vibes start. Good enough for me.

Back