• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff Magnets

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any good ideas for differential magnets to use with aftermarket covers that don't have the magnetic plug?

I just buy quarter size rare earth magnets off ebay. Stick one under the ring gear in the oil, works great.

so you guys just stick them to the housing? I was worried about how to attach it, but you think it'll stay put just fine?

I put one in the sump on my 8.8
when i went to pull it out to clean it, I couldnt pry the magnet loose from the housing, so i just cleaned it in place

Pick a smooth flat spot on the housing or inside of the cover (if it's a thick one - there are plenty of smooth flat spots on the inside of a ruffstuff) that will give at least 1/4" or so clearance from the closest point on the ring gear to the magnet. The smoother and flatter the better. It'll stick so well you will have problems getting it off, nevermind something else knocking it off.

You could probably go even closer to the ring gear but I like to play it safe.

Interesting topic...

Are the Ceramic Magnets as good as the Rare-Earth magnets? I've been searching for a local place to buy the Rare-Earth magnets but have only found them online. Getting ready to do a rear-disc swap this weekend and would like to add a magnet to the differential while I have it apart.

Got an old hard drive? Pull it apart, there is at least one super strong rare earth magnet in every one. Can be a bastard to get at.

For cheap rare earths, I'd check ebay and unitednuclear.com.

OK... so I found some Earth Magnets over my lunchtime at the local Hardware store. Had a couple various round sizes so hopefully they work out for this purpose. :) Thx.

Fwiw, hazard fraught has them super cheap for a pack of I blieve 6? I bought 2 packs and just spread them all over the diff, trans pan, and oil pan.

I have seen magnets as part of the fill plug/drain plug. Are they worth investing in?

I highly recommend them.

P1070866.jpg

Kastein: do you.have a trick for removing hard drive magets from their mounting plates withou shattering them?

Very carefully.. Haven't pulled apart a HDD in a while so I dont remember how I did it.

Back