• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking 242

jwebb85

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 242 that I rebuilt. It has a hack and tap done to it as well. Problem I have is the rear output seal. New seal installed with a very light coating of rtv on the rim. Greased the inside and taped the splines before I slid it on. The inside seems to get kinda hung up on the lock ring grove. Maybe some clear tape tight around the shaft to help it pass through? Next came the lock ring then finally the oil slinger. Still leaks and gives the Heep a nice oil bath underneath. Ordered a new slinger and seal from Chrysler dealer today. Maybe the Napa seal isn't a good one?

Taped the splines? The splines need a coat of RTV as well depending on year of the transfer case used. And is the seal staying seated in the new rear housing, if you have one?

Original housing. This is from a 99, had the rubber boot, not the tail cone. Yes the seal stays seated fine. It's leaking from the center of the seal on the shaft. I taped the splines so it had no chance of cutting the seal when I slid it over covered in grease. RTV is not needed on the splines.

Back