• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Swap or not to Swap

Spitzer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 with a 8.25 4:56 Detroit locked running 35's, I hate the drum brakes.
Looking at a Ford 8.8 4:56 Detroit locked with disk brakes for $1000.00.

What do you guys think? Should I just put disks on the Chrysler and be done with it?

Maybe do tons when I find the right axles?

That's way too much for an 8.8
Imo you would be better off throwing kj disks on it fur cheap. Wheel til it breaks, if it does then upgrade

Ok this is gonna sound like BS..I must be the luckiest person I know today. Found ZJ brakes just down the street for $75 :D

Thanks for the reality check, just saved a ton of $$$$

Dont ZJs have the turdy5? Hows that going to work?

I have an 8.8, I love the strength and disks, but the width difference is a pain in the ass. It IS noticeable.

Tons and be done with it.... For a while a least. !! For a $1000 you could buy a set of tons. Then upgraded as needed. In the long run its cheaper.

Definitely high for an 8.8, even with the detroit

May not need gears with installs though, he's only running 4.56. A dodge rear 60 bolts in in an xj, an 8.8 doesn't. We can split hairs all day long, but nothing makes an 8.8 worth $1000 imho.

Back