• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 mj fuel and spark no start

Dfete1

NAXJA Forum User
Just got an 88 mj 2wd 4.0 manual todayi have plenty of gas and fire but only got one puff of smoke after working on it all day. this is my first renix. i have 4 other xjs.plugs are getting soaked if fuel.previos owner screwed with a bunch of wires and stuff.. i would appreciate any ideas. I've only had it for 12 hrs and i hate renix.

Check the Fuel Pressure Regulator, FPR, on the front of the fuel rail. There is a vacuum line attached to it. If the FPR diaphragm breaks it leaks fuel into the vacuum line and floods the engine.

Try pressing and holding the gas peddle to the floor while cranking. That shuts off the ECU signal to the fuel injectors and will quickly dry out the engine if it is flooded with gasoline.

Might back up and get out a manual and check the plug wire numbering, see if any are crisscrossed, same with fuel injectors.

A multi meter set for low volts can be used to test the CPS while cranking. It needs at least .50 V AC (not DC) for the ECU to fire the spark plugs.

Also make sure the vacuum line from the MAP sensor on the fire wall is OK, leak free, and connected to the lower passenger side of the throttle body.

And make sure the MAP vacuum is plugged into the right hole at the bottom of the TB, there are two, one is blind and the other is vacuum.

Always best to plug it in the right hole, :laugh3:

Back