• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running without front drive shaft

motorman

NAXJA Forum User
In getting ready for Moab run I had the front drive shaft out. Jeep ran a lot smoother so I am probably going to leave it off for the trip out and back.

Anyone know of any ill effects from running with no front shaft for extended mileage. I sure wouldn't think there would be a problem but thought I would check.

I just got back from a trip to Steamboat Springs and Moab (I know- Bad timing for Moab) and had the front shaft out for the highway driving because of vibration over 65mph. IMHO, anytime you reduce vibration you also reduce the possibility of damage, not to mention less wear on the shaft joints. I'm no drivetrain expert, however, so I would be interested in seeing what others have to say on this.

Yep.

I had a lot of vibes with my stock front drive shaft and a 4.5" lift. Turns out the slip shaft was worn out. I replaced it with a Tom Woods long travel drive shaft. No more vibes. I've got the old one for a trail spare.

RR3

I have to agree, anytime you lessen the vibes you're easier on components. I've finally almost eliminated my front driveshaft vibes(although I don't know how) so I'll just leave mine on for the drive out to Moab.

Jes

I had the front drive shaft out in my wife's ZJ one time (4.0, AW4, np249 full time transfer case) one time. Drove it to work and parked it (didn't set the parking brake.) Came out about an hour later and the Jeep was gone. When I panicked and ran out there, it was in the middle of the parking lot about 30 feet from where I parked it. Only thing I can figure is with the viscous coupler in the T-case, with out the added resistance from the front drivetrain, will slip and not hold in park. Might work the same if you have the NP242 in full time mode?? I have no idea, but it may be something to be aware of.

Dan

The 242 does not use a viscous coupler it is gear driven part time.
Oh, and it won't move in full time mode with the front shaft out. The front output spins like an open diff with a wheel on ice.

It should not hurt a thing to run without the front shaft. I plan to unhook mine for the trip to Moab as well.

Bones :skull1:

Scott Mac. said:
The ill effects of running without the front drive shaft are no vibes and better gas millage.

On the non-disconnect axles, there isn't a noticeable difference in gas mileage when the front driveshaft is removed. I did 130+ miles a day and measured mine for several weeks without the driveshaft connected and noticed no difference.

Scott are you pulling it completely, or just tying the front of it up out of the way?

I like this idea, tell me more - like Bones' question, tie it up out of the way or pull it completely? My stock front DS vibes like mad with 5.5" lift.

[RALPH], what kind of money is Tom Woods getting for the new long travel shaft?

Scott Mac. said:
The ill effects of running without the front drive shaft are no vibes and better gas millage.

Funny thing is I get better gas milage in full time then with the front shaft removed.

I ran with out the front shaft for the longest time because I thought the front output bearing was bad. Nope, the yoke was loose. Then I thought the CV was worn out. Nope, just needed grease shot into the rubber cup over the centering pin.

--Matt

lesslimited92 said:
IMHO, anytime you reduce vibration you also reduce the possibility of damage, not to mention less wear on the shaft joints.

im gussing your talking about your U-joints...
correct me if im wrong but dont you have full time hubs? doesnt matter if you take of your driveshaft or not. your axleshafts will continue to spin. unless you have some sort of manuel locking hubs.

actually if you do have manuel hubs you wouldnt need to take your shaft out... cuz it wouldnt be spinning at all.

what Im trying to say is.. if your looking for less wear on your u-joints/shafts... taking out your driveshaft would not help

KarmirXJ said:
im gussing your talking about your U-joints...
correct me if im wrong but dont you have full time hubs? doesnt matter if you take of your driveshaft or not. your axleshafts will continue to spin. unless you have some sort of manuel locking hubs.

actually if you do have manuel hubs you wouldnt need to take your shaft out... cuz it wouldnt be spinning at all.

what Im trying to say is.. if your looking for less wear on your u-joints/shafts... taking out your driveshaft would not help
Sorry- I should have said driveshaft U-joints. Those things would be turning about a zillion times on a trip to Moab, and if there's vibration, somethings bound to wear :)

Bones said:
Scott are you pulling it completely, or just tying the front of it up out of the way?

With everything thats happened this year, I havn't wheeled in over a year so I yanked it right out of there. Although did drive all the way home from Moab two years ago with it tied up to one of the control arms.

Back