• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spartan locker problem... video inside

DualSportDad

NAXJA Forum User
i put a spartan locker in yesterday and it's randomly locking up on me when i try to turn... mainly left. everything is installed properly, proper gap with no thrust washers.

this was a new in the box product i installed. it's in my d30 front axle.

does anyone know the phone number to spartan? i can't seem to find it on their website (usa gear).

here's a video of the truck on the lift to kinda give a idea of what it's doing... image it doing this while in a turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzRkfhuWHNQ

Free spinning it like your doing in the video is a mute point.

Did you follow the "test" instructions on the installation paper ?
"Hold or block one wheel and rotate the other................................."

i just did it holding the other wheel... the right wheel will still catch at times. i have to spin it a lot though between grabs. most likely why i didn't see the problem when i did the first test.

Try thicker gear oil, not the normal 90.I think i heard somebody say they work better with the heavier oil in them. Just a guess on my part, but i think i heard folks talking about this with these.

HTH

thats what i put in there.... 75-140 mopar syn. i'm going to call yukon right now... they hopefully open at 8 pacific time.

Have you drivin it? I dont think anything looks wrong in the video. It would only lock up both tires when there is input from the drive shaft. Your simulating somthing that would never happen.

Edit: Just reread it and I see you say you have drivin it... so NM. Yeah it shouldnt be locking up at all in 2wheel...

yes i have driven it.. about 20 miles. have lost steering twwice cause of this and several very loud pops and bangs.

Lost steering? I had to drive mine home in 4wd with a spartan and other than chirping in tight turns it drove fine? Are you posative that the tcase is not in 4hi?

no... np231.

i just took it to lunch... did great on the way there. on the way back had to make a u-turn.... violent banging then a mile later made a left and half way through the left turn it looked and sent me straight. this is not cool.

i left a message... appearantly i can't talk to anyone unless i know a direct 4 digit extension number. would really like to hear from them asap.

Even tho I have no issues with my Spartan(s).. your issue would not leave me very happy:nono:

certain
20130411_135138.jpg

everything looks right here correct? i did clean it off before installing.
20130410_124352.jpg

Back