• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked frame prevention

Boom1699

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the xj world and I've been hearing a lot about the frame cracking by the steering box with large tires right now I'm running a 4.5 inch lift with 32s I'm going to build a front bumper that ties into the frame rails what else can I do to stop the frame from cracking I'm a welder by trade so I can do custom fabrication

Yup, mine cracked under my front bumper plate. Like above, plate the whole area if you can. Kind of a PITA to do though.

When you plate everything, do away with the stock spacer piece too. I welded some small sections of tubing to space the box out. Like already said, plate everything possible.

2rqesyb.jpg

Here is what I did. Steering box brace that basically makes the pitman arm double shear. Ties into both frame rails, in addition to the bumper X-member ahead of it and the trackbar brace behind it. It bolts on using the swaybar mounts and a bumper bolt on each side. The rails will get plated eventually.

I have the c-rock inner steering box reinforcement that replaces the stock steering box spacer and sleeves the bolts.

Also my bumper mounts extend past the steering box on the outer side.
I am going to do the hd offroad front stiffeners as well on the outside, i have their mid stiffeners and am happy with them and will likely do the rears as well.

Even so when my still origional steering box goes out i will plate all the way around the steering box area just to be sure.

Reinforcing the track bar mount area is a good idea im told as well as going to a double shear mount.

I have frame standoffs from the mid stiffeners to my rocker replacements and some day my cage will tie all of that into the front and rear bumpers and rocker replacement. I expect to be very stiff and run my cherokee for a long time.

Back