• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj performance curve exhaust questions?

I'm running a Flowmaster Super 40 Series Delta Flow and I really like it. It's not too loud inside the Jeep at all, just loud enough tell it's not a stock muffler. From the outside it sounds nice. You can definately hear it but it's not obnoxious and there's no drone at all. I'm running a DynoMax manderel bent tailpipe (2.25" I believe) and stock manifold & cat.

I had a 50 Series Flowmaster on my previous XJ and didn't really care for it. It had a similar tone compared to my current setup but was louder and droned constantly. Highway drives got old quickly. I was running a stock replacment (crush bent) tailpipe with a straight tip and had a slight leak at the manifold, so I don't know if those factors affected the sound at all.

I listened to about a million YouTube videos of XJ exhausts before settling on my current setup, and IMO the way to go is a Super 40 or 44 Series Flowmaster if you want it loud, or the Super 40 Delta Flow if you want it somewhat quiet. The standard (non "Super", non Delta Flow) Flowmaster 40 and 50 series mufflers just don't sound as good on the 4.0L IMO.

A 2.5" tailpipe will definately be tight with extended shackles. It might work, but you'll probably just have to try it and see. I notice a lot of XJ owners with extended shackles or relocation brackets just cut off the end of the tailpipe before it gets close to the shackle. The DynoMax tailpipe I'm running exits at an angle and I'm pretty sure it might need to be cut off and welded on straight when I install shackle relocation brackets. Kind of a bummer cause it looks nice, unfortunately I think they didn't design it with anything other than stock shackles in mind.

i was kind of thinking id have to cut the tailpipe section off, but i could always cut a section out and weld the tail pipe further in, but having the tail pipe not extend out the rear of the vehicle wouldn't that cause any type of problems?

You can def use it and they are a great company to buy from...very fast shipping and I have had ZERO problems with them. You will probably have to hack it off right before the shackle, which is no big deal...
I highly reccomend performance-curve.com

My 2.5" SS tail from Mandrel-Bending-Solutions doesn't interfere with the Mopar hitch and it looks the same as that one(same bends as stock pipe only bigger). I'm going to buy a 2.5" metallic-spun cat from PC in the future.

I like the curve exhaust system its cheep! only 40.00 for the tail section so that is what im going to buy like said it will work i just might have to modify it, now does any one have any suggestions for a muffler, right now im leaning toward flowmaster.

I purchased the mandrel bent 2.5" pipe, coupled with Magnaflow 50 (still too loud). All works fine, through I am not entirely sure the loss of back pressure has not messed up with my MPG...

My 2.5" SS tail from Mandrel-Bending-Solutions doesn't interfere with the Mopar hitch and it looks the same as that one(same bends as stock pipe only bigger). I'm going to buy a 2.5" metallic-spun cat from PC in the future.

Do they stock a tailpipe for XJ's or did you have one custom bent? I looked on their site, really nice stuff but they didn't have anything listed for Jeeps.

I bought my exhaust from performance curve, However I did not do their prepackaged magnaflow catback. I used a 2.5" 4" round 14" body magnaflow part # 10416 and a 2.5" Thunderbolt free flow ceramic catalytic converter. and the PC 2.5" Tailpipe . I had a local exhaust shop Make a 2.5" downpipe from the stock manifold to the Cat that is also mandrel bent. My exhaust does not drone , at Idle and cruising speeds it is just a tad louder then stock. But when you get on the Skinny Pedal It gets loud . Here are a couple youtube videos ( The exhaust was installed about 5 minutes before I shot the videos and I drove the Jeep about a mile to where I shot them ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_9-IatXeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e15cc501H9g

Thanks that is the tail pipe I used. I had a small offset piece of pipe installed between my muffler and tailpipe so it would align properly.

Back