• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak again

Gnarlyrider27

NAXJA Forum User
So I done my rear main seal and oil pan gasket for the 2nd time in 2 months and did the head gasket and all that and drove it 14 miles one day then 6 another and never leaked oil. Drove it almost 50 miles to a lake were I had to go find a wrecked Jeep that was on some trail. Jeep ran great and everything and on the way home I could smell oil and parked it at the house and with in 5 mins had oil. The puddle is about the size of a large lid from a fast food restaurant. My oil pressure was between 20 and 40 depending on what gear and how fast I was going and when I put it into park at my house it went to 15 then back to 20 psi. Is it normal to leak that much? Like I said in other threads my old 92 and my friends 90 xj with the 4.0s never leaked oil

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.
Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.
Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?
A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.
First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Revised 02-26-2013

Well I just replaced all the gaskets on that engine. And this is the very first Jeep I have owned that has leaked oil. Its coming from the RMS area. Black of the block is dry and all around the oil filter adapter and stuff. only place wet is ar the RMS. The jeep on the trial is totaled. We still have to go recovery it but we need my jeep to get back in there and wasn't sure about the oil leak since I havent had this problem besides on this jeep

Ok so I drove my jeep another 40 miles today and leaked almost 3q's. All the seals and gaskets are brand new and everything. I drove to a shop before I came home and by time I went inside and came out with a mechanic there was a pretty good size puddle under it. He said thats not normal. He said it should barley be leaking or not at all. I dont know what to do anymore with it. I have done this so many times and got more then I paid for it just into the oil leaks and blown head gasket.

Have You Checked Your Pan, If The Lip Is Bent It Wont Seal Right And It Will Piss Oil, Also Look Into Getting The One Piece Felpro Gasket if You Havent already. If Its Only Leaking From That Spot I Would Think EithertThe Pan Is Warped/ Bent/ Damaged Or You May Have Installed The Seal Wrong. Snap A Photo If You Can That Might help

Well what is the possibility that I have a cracked block? The PO did get this thing hot and the radiator was clogged beyond believe and didnt have any coolent in it so that kinda has me wondering. The pan looked to be fine but that doesnt really mean anything. I do have the one piece on it and installed it when the engine was out so I know it was put on right.

If you have a late Cherokee, the rear main seal and oil pan gasket are different from the older ones. The old ones had wings on the seal that sealed around the main cap to the pan, and the new style doesn't have them, but has tabs on the pan gasket to seal the same spot.

Just an idea

The different rms/pan gasket happened in 99 or 00 if I recall correctly, so that's not your case. Just throwing ideas. I was pissed that I could only get the stuff to to my rms In my 00 from the dealer.

Ya. Well I think I am going to park it for a while and rebuild my grandfathers old truck. The jeep has me to stressed out. Then after its on the road I will probably rebuild the engine top to bottom and all that. Make sure everything is right

I would post pictures on my leak and the wrecked jeep but it wont let me. For some reason this is the only forum that wont let me post pictures but any ways does anyone know of any place to get a new and good but cheap oil pan. So far rockauto has been the cheapest but still having problems with them.

use photobucket. thats what everyone else does.

Still wont let me upload any pictures. I made a photobucket and everything.
IMG_20130409_134725_zps9e5a1b85.jpg
a>
IMG_20130409_134725_zps9e5a1b85.jpg.html

Last edited:

Okay I got it now. This is the wrecked Jeep I was talking about. The tree was the only thing that keep them from rolling over 500ft to the lake at the bottom. I will try and get a picture of my oil pan from my jeep soon.

Last edited:
Ok so I put some oil in my jeep and drove it 10 miles. But before I did I cleaned all the oil off the pan and everything. After my drive I checked to see if the pan was wet. Dry as can be and just when I thought I was in the clear it starts leaking from the bell housing. It seems to be leaking from the inside of the inspection cover like it from the rear main. I have replaced the rear main 4 times so unless I am installing it wrong or its getting cut when I install it and I'm not seeing it. Any ideas. Will post pictures were its leaking from in the AM.

Back