• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny mount torque specs

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I'll be replacing the transmission mount today in my '99 XJ. It's probably not critical, but I'm wondering what the correct torque is for the bolts securing the crossmember to the unibody, and for the nuts that secure the mount to the crossmember. Anyone have that information handy?

I dont remember off the top of my head, But def use antiseize. Esp on the bolts holding the mount into the trans

Don't break em. Other than that, open season.

I'll be replacing the transmission mount today in my '99 XJ. It's probably not critical, but I'm wondering what the correct torque is for the bolts securing the crossmember to the unibody, and for the nuts that secure the mount to the crossmember. Anyone have that information handy?

If you use any sort of lubricant, don't forget to reduce installation torque to get the same tensile preload (and not pull the threads out of something instead!)

FSM torque specs are on my site, I need to add a few I've picked up since. www.kelleyswip.com/tech.html - start there.

EDIT - For the cushion-to-crossmember stud nuts, I like to replace those with Nylon-collar locknuts - every time. They stay put so nicely...

Since you just replaced it, would you happen to recall what size nuts those are that attach the mount to the crossmember? I'm trying to replace mine but do not have the right nuts.

Since you just replaced it, would you happen to recall what size nuts those are that attach the mount to the crossmember? I'm trying to replace mine but do not have the right nuts.
5/16 course thread

5/16 course thread
Sorry, that's wrong dude, they're M8x1.25. Factory nuts are part number 11502811, flanged staked all-metal lock nuts.

When I replaced my mount a few months ago, I snapped off one of the 4 xmember studs like it was a twig (non-factory Jeep)....did some creative welding of a new bolt to fix it, so go easy on the torque.

M8-1.25 - AFAIK, they've always been ISO.

If you force it on, you can fit a 5/16"-18, but it's not recommended (5/16"-18UNC and M8-1.25 are often confused.)

Back