• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low ball joint zerk fitting help!!

scot4free

NAXJA Forum User
I bought full set of ball joints that are OMIX.
The lower has a zerk hole unlike my orig I took out.
they sent both a threaded plug and a raised 45 degree zerk fitting. Of course, I put in the zerk fitting so the lower can be lubed.

The problem is that is hits the u-joints at the knuckle. So, I took it out and said....ah ha, that's why the orig had no fitting.

now the zerk hole won't accept the plug.

Can I just silicone glue a rubber plug in there to keep dirt out?

I want to do the right thing and not be doing this again in 6 months.

45* fitting or a 90* fitting? My last set of Omix/Crown BJ's I had 90* ones (cant remembered if I swapped those on or not) but they just barely cleared the stock shafts. I was still able to get my grease gun in there and lube them, just had to turn the shaft to the sweet spot to get my grease gun fitting onto the zerk.

Well, it's more of a 65-75 degree angle. I figured it was that way to account for access. Oh well.
It did strip, and I barely tightened it with my smallest crescent wrench.

I silicone glued a nickle over the hole to seal while making it easy to remove in the future if I need. I was going to use JB, but didn't want to permanently seal it.
I learned that trick from a motorcycle guy who JB's pennies on the often sight glass for the brake masters that bikes have.

I supposed it's ok for now. my seal job should make it the same non-serviceable as a plug is. Thanks!

Back