• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix

Renix is a combination of RENault and bendIX.

It's the control system that AMC used in Jeeps built from 86? to 90.

I was working on mine today and had the computer on the floorboards. My son read the label and asked.

Renix is Bendix based, and was in wide use in the late 80's, Jag, BMW, Mercedes, lots of others. It's speed density fuel injection in the bigger picture, calculating the right amount to inject by calculating from air temp and pressure, engine temp, O2 input, and TPS position. along with rpm and crank position. It uses the early Bosch injectors, same style as early 90s Fords - which means you can substitute those injectors and o-rings in the setup.

The system requires a "DRB" to read the live goings on, no codes are available. Which isn't bad if you are old school and diagnose things by the old rules. I just fixed my no start today, it wasn't the CPS or anything, it was an eleven year old burned up distributor cap. Duh.

It has it's quirks, but can be massaged with inexpensive modifications. When Chrysler moved to OBD and upped the horsepower, they did it with a different head, intake, and header, with some offset by using a cam with more overlap to trap exhaust, eliminating the need for an air pump. Renix wasn't a problem, other than it couldn't meet the requirement to display codes, so it had to go. It didn't fit the Chrysler environment.

It was a vast improvement over the analog vacuum emissions system layered onto a carbureted motor, and does a good job, codes or not. Jag, BMW, and Mercedes is good company to keep.

A Snap-On MT2500, with the right cartridge and cable, can read RENIX.

You can grab one on eBay at a price that makes it reasonable.

Last edited:
Back