• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken bleeder valve

shaman1204

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to change my brake fluid today. After soaking the bleeder valvse in PB blaster the first one sheared off. I stopped there. There is nothing sticking out to try to get some vice grips on to work out either. I know I will have to replace the cylinder, but was wanting to replace the whole drum brake system if I'm going to do that as it probably needs it. Is it ok to drive like this? It never opened up, and it's not leaking. I even drove around the block braking hard/frequently and it's still dry. Can I go for a few days like this until the parts come in?

You are fine, as long as you didn't loosen the bleeder.

The conical end of the broken bleeder should still be fully seated in the wheel cylinder's orifice and the system is still closed.

For everyone:

Removing brake lines and/or loosening bleeder screws way too often ends up in rounded off parts or broken bleeder screws.

I keep a couple of HF pen-torches in the box at work (and a couple around the gun workbench too). Using the very fine flame point I heat the area around the bleeder screw or where the brake line attaches, then move the heat away and spray a little penetrating oil, then repeat a few times. Seems to work for me.

Back