• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar lower mount to weld or not?

whatsleakingtoday

NAXJA Forum User
Had had a washer welded on pretty good over the second hole while my stock track bar was used with a small lift. Jeep is now at 4.5 lift so I bought an adjustable RE bar and hd mount. Got the stock hole drilled to the right size. Wondering if I should weld on another big washer or if this would be strong enough. The reason for the debate is I no longer have a welder so I would have to go out of my way a bit and the jeep has the brakes all ripped out so shes not going anywhere right now!
!!!1
tbarmount.JPG

Ummmm....no. Please don't drive it like that. TB's are under an incredible amount of side-to-side pressure while driving. I wouldn't trust that little amount of material to hold up for long.

Cut that sucker off and weld on a new mount.

Welding a good thick washer onto it would be a suitable fix. Don't drive it like that or you will wallow out the hole and have a bigger repair on your hands.

Grab some 3/16 and make a new mount, simple and easy. Cut old stuff off, cut a couple of pieces, burn it into place. I made a new TB mount, both new LCA mounts, and boxed all the control arm mounts in in just a couple of hours. Nothing special, just flat plate and some welding.

24lu4xs.jpg

I Face the front of it and tied into the coil bucket a little better, I used 3/8 plate on the lca and tied that into the axle tube
28sbwut.jpg

be careful welding a piece of plate flat to the CA mount like clean4drxj did. i found that my RE arms did not fit when i did this. it wasnt much, but i had to open them up a bit, and fill the gap with weld. not ideal, but i figure the weld is far stronger than the mount its attached to:
282002_200853959969028_4228598_n.jpg

also... if your going to go through the trouble of making a new track bar bracket, and doing LCA mini skids, you might as well brace your passenger side UCA mount too. a 1'x1' plate should be more than enough, and fairly cheap. the mini skids in the first picture arent braced to the axle tube, the mount still got tweaked. the second picture is holding up well to abuse:
292452_381681628552926_1619651088_n.jpg

Well if you're gonna brace your track bar mount and LCA mounts and passenger upper mount, you might as well put a truss on your axle and brace the inner c's. Just buy a few square yards of 1/4" steel so you can get that all done...

I am getting ready to install my zone lift and it calls to drill another hole on that mount. Think i will try to avoid that. i have an adjustable track bar on the way.

Back