• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV vaccum issue

89jeepIowa

NAXJA Forum User
Alright i searched and searched but couldn't find the answer. I replaced my CCV harness with this one from NAPA. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NDP7151367_0390168068

When i was all done hooking up the hoses i found i had one that didn't have a hose that went to anything. Was i supposed too buy the rear harness as well? This is my first Jeep and i'm slowly learning about them.

Here's a pic of the engine and a pic of the hose i'm talking about.

FiwZeb8l.jpg

vwlGk6El.jpg

IIRC the CCV line is the small one coming off the back of the valve cover, which runs past the TB into the manifold port. You can see it take a right turn and hook up in the upper photo.

The lower vac harness is just that, the large tube is the vent relief for excess crankcase pressure. That line needs to be kept clean, and if it starts dumping oil on the filter, then there is a fix - pull the cover, shorten the tubes bolted inside, drill a hole facing the rear, and toss the gasket when reassembling. Tip is from Cruiser54.

I eliminated my harness, it's not needed, just the connections from port to device. An auto parts store will have the plastic tubing in the appropriate size, plus the boots to connect, or you can use vacuum hose to repair or replace any of it.

I don't know the guy who shoved a Chevy valve cover breather in the front vent grommet, or why he thought it was such a good idea to let oil drain over the valve cover down the motor, but I can tell you he is definitely tired of the oily smell getting into the cabin and plans to change it. (Sticks hands in pockets whistling to look innocent.)

Thanks for the info. I did find some oil in the filter i'll pull the cover next weekend, gotta try and get my tranny filter changed tomorrow or sun.

@TiRod i had a buddy do that once with an old truck. I have made quite a few mechanical blunders over the years as well. LOL

I think the vacuum lines are all shown on a firewall sticker. Looks like you are missing one that runs to the thermal valve on the air filter box that feeds the diverter valve for cold starts on the front of the air filter box, and possible missing the line that runs the EGR solenoid valve and then to the EGR valve. I see the rear CCV line running to the intake in picture.

Back