• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion bearing replacement

96xj-A-skwad

NAXJA Forum User
ok, ive determined that my inner pinion bearing is shot, im gonna open up the diff and take care of it. --DANA 35--

And i know everyones gonna be like " get a 44" or "nows the perfect time to get a better axle", but im stickin with the dirty five.

so, with that said, i need some info on how to properly remove the carrier. and possibly a step by stem on the whole project.

do i have to remove the carrier cross pin, spider gears out, slide the axles out, remove the c clips. then carrier bearing caps, slide her out making sure not to missplace shims? is that all(before pinion comes out)?

its a 96 open dif.

o------preload! is this the value of turning the pinion, taken without the carrier installed? should be about 15?

thanks in advance!:wave:

Last edited:
You must really hate yourself. This is the second time you've talked about fixing your stupid dana 35 in like 2 weeks.

Why are you against simply swapping in an 8.25? It's easier than doing a pinion bearing and it won't explode on you at random. I see them sell on here for 50 bucks all the time and at junkyards for 100-130.

I mean, have fun with that salt belt rusted pinion nut, I have seen them take over a thousand foot pounds to break loose. A three foot cheater pipe with some really burly dudes yanking on it didn't even budge it, had to borrow a 1000ft/lb impact. To do the inner you're going to need a shop press, and make sure you don't lose any preload or pinion depth shims when you pull it apart.

Between the time, money, and tools to do this and the wheel bearing or whatever the last failure was, you'd be approaching the cost of an 8.25 swap already!

Based on the fact that you take every opportunity you get to throw "dana 35" in there, I can't tell if you just like pain or are trying to stir things up. The d35 is a pile of shit axle and everyone but (including?) you knows it.

Last edited:
You must really hate yourself. This is the second time you've talked about fixing your stupid dana 35 in like 2 weeks.

I mean, have fun with that salt belt rusted pinion nut, I have seen them take over a thousand foot pounds to break loose.

haha, so whos to say that the new axle i pick up isnt shot either? junk yard or craigslist its a gamble. theres only so much you can tell without driving on it or taking it apart.

I got the pinion nut off 2 days ago and replaced the outer pinion bearing and seal. Didnt need any "Burly Dudes". just a lil kroil. did my buddies rear pinion seal on his wrangler yesterday. So thats two pinion nuts, in the salt belt, by the ocean......

I respect your advice, but im not afraid of a mechanical challenge. i want to do this, lol so if your not gonna help, dont bother trying to change my mind

Listen to what is being said. For the price your going to pay for a much better diff, compared to the time your going to spend and the price for new parts, doesn't make sense. Oh, and it is a direct bolt and go, and much stronger.
Have fun buddy.

I respect your advice, but im not afraid of a mechanical challenge. i want to do this, lol so if your not gonna help, dont bother trying to change my mind
Suit yourself. This is a mechanical challenge to keep a failed engineering challenge alive, the axle is simply weak, you can keep fixing it (I guess you like mechanical challenges, you'll get plenty of them) until the cows come home but it aint gonna make it any better.

edit: I have a bridge and a few spare-parts dana 35s to sell you, btw.

Just want to clear the air here.

As i stated before, I respect anyones opinion and advice here. That is why i come here for help.

I understand that the "turdy Five" as most call it is an inferior design. But due to personall situations the cheapest quickest fix for me was to fix the pinion bearing. I got all the parts for next to nothing, i was having trouble finding a new rear end, and i have a small time frame (as this is my dd).

I feel that there was a little unescesarry tension here, but i guess someone who has posted so much, and probably has some decent knowledge can afford to act like that.

Again I came here for some technical help on a specific project, not advice on how to spend my money. I may be new to jeeps, but not to auto repair, engineering or wrench turning.

With that said,
My brother, who is in a local jeep club was able to locate me a chrysler 8.25 for only 120$. so now i can go ahead and make the right fix.

Thanks

Everyone here is being extremely truthful and trying to save you heartache either now or in the near future. They have experience, not just high post counts. Lighten up.

Back