• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:10 or 4:56

Sneaky

NAXJA Forum User
Suggestions please... I have 33x12.50 tires. Do not plan on going bigger. I went to order my gears and was told 4:10 when I was sure I wanted 4:56 ratio. Thoughts please.

Personally..... 4.56s with a 5spd, maybe deeper if you've got an automatic. I drove 4.10s with a 5spd and 33x12.50s for a year and the engine definitely worked harder (still better than 31x10.50s and 3.07s.....)

Had a similar debate a while back. 4.56 seems to be the way to go, and the route I'm taking even though I plan to never go larger than 31's. If you're gonna spend the money, might as well go a step deeper than you initially think to account for towing, heavy loads, and increases in wind resistance as modifications progress.

4.88s if you plan on 33s with an auto. you will go bigger someday. trust me, you will. you will also enjoy the extra power on uphill highway stuff.

its not that simple. stock intake, stock exhaust, stock injectors, engine tuned up, lots of extra weight like a cage, tire carrier bumper, rocker replacements, stiffeners, belly pan, winch + winch bumper, hybrid cage, interior storage, beefed up axles, adding lots of weight and other mods may affect MPG, its really tough to say:
3.55s with 33= X mpg
4.56 with 33= Y mpg
4.88 with 33= Z mpg

8 years ago I used to get 18mpg with 33s and 3.55s, with a big cone air filter, and pretty much stock except for a small 3" lift. now the thing weights another 2000 pounds more probably due to sticking tons of metal to it, a cage, heavier axles, beadlocks, injectors, header, hi flow exhaust, tune up 2x a year, so much more , 36" tires, and lots of mods and I get around around 14MPG on long freeway drives. motor is much more tired these days

Another one for 4.56 & 33's.

My Jeep felt good with that setup, but only lasted two weeks until my new 35's arrived. Now I want to bump up to 4.88's.

With 35's and 4.56 I currently avg 15 mpg with majority of city driving. Fwy I get close to 17 mpg.

If you are spending money to regear, 4.56, do it once, do it right.

If you are junkyard / craigslist hunting, 4.10s are out there.

4.56's with 33's you'll be able to get around 15-16mpg on the highway depending upon how well your engine runs ect.

4.56's with 33's you'll be able to get around 15-16mpg on the highway depending upon how well your engine runs ect.
i would hope you would get alot better, i got 17mpg highway with 33's and 3.55's, and 4.88's in a 30 are great if you like stripped ring gears

4.56 and 33's for me, love it. Mpg sucks, but I think thats just because we're cold, here, hilly, and we get poor quality gas.

I ran 4.56s with 32s for a while and loved it. Street, trails, everything, tons of low end power.

Wish I had more gear now with 35s though.

I have 4.10 with 31s and they are great. However, I would not want 33s with those gears.

Back