• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap simple locking center console

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Not really a write up, but the pics should be pretty explanatory. Costed about 7 dollars, $2 of it being the bolts, screws, washers and nuts. The other is the locking hatch from Walmart.
I came up with this after seeing others using twisting latches which I didn't thing would be all that great since all you'd have to do is push the Lid to the side till the latch came out so I went about making a more secure and stronger lock for the console for when I drive around without my doors on.

2e2e3ame.jpg

The only other thing you'd need it a piece if scrap metal to create a base to anchor the latch on to it center console lid. Use two or four bigger bolts to anchor this piece of metal to the lid as this is what the locking hatch will secure to.
7uha6ete.jpg

the plastic piece separates from the fake leather/holstery by way of six screws, on the other side of the plastic piece that you secure the metal and latch to, use washers to help spread the load and keep the plastic from breaking or cracking
zevepu9a.jpg

e9e6yqam.jpg

As you can see it fits pretty good without having a bunch of bolts sticking out and making it look ghetto/tacky. The two(my case, one) bolts on the edge of the lid that you see is barely noticeable when inside the jeep. Coups cover it if you wanted to.
gu8arena.jpg

a5ygyqas.jpg

Best part is the latch folds in to the lid as you lift so its not hanging the back or something lol

how is the lock part secured? Is it just screwed into the plastic? If it is then its not much more secured than the stock latch

Did you put a piece of metal behind that plastic, that you screwed that lock into? Or else AJTorris is right it wont be worth crap.

It's got metal behind it, it isn't screwed in, I drilled four holes for where the screws go into and on the other side it has a plate that's held on by washers and nuts. I didn't get pics by that time because I was just trying to finish it up before it got dark lol and no it doesn't rattle at all, I set it so that the latch didnt sit completely flat to the lock but have a small angle so it rested against the base and lock. I've driven over some severe washboard gravel roads and its quiet as can be.

locks are for honest people.....Only real way is to not leave valuables in the jeep

May I suggest securing the latch to the lid with some large rivets? I think they would be more low profile.
that is possibility, i didn't have any so i used bolts and nuts lol

locks are for honest people.....Only real way is to not leave valuables in the jeep

that is true, but to an extent, i carry my phone and itouch but i cant carry my itouch cord and faceplate for my stereo lol so this comes in handy, plus it keeps people from stealing my pens and markers lol

Back