• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat belt stitching

hillikus

NAXJA Forum User
Background: I bought a 99 XJ in February with 72k miles on it. Everything seemed to be pretty good until I've started to notice a few problems here and there. I'm working on most of them but the one issue that is getting me the most is my rear seat belts.

Under the rear seat, the stitching on the seat belts has disintegrated. At first when I noticed it on the passenger's side, I got a little upset with the previous owner that he would remove all of the stitching and not tell me. The seat belt was simply looped through the bracket that mounts it to the floor with no stitching anywhere to be found. Then I looked at the other seat belts that looked to have a few stitches left. When I touch the stitches that are left they simply turn to dust.

Is this something that I should bring to Chrysler's attention, or a well known problem? I have been researching/looking at XJ's for a few years now anticipating buying one and I never came across this before and I could see where it may go unnoticed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-H

Take it to the dealer, see what they say.
I've owned 3 xjs.
1st was an 88..was babied its whole life..no seat belt problems.
My 98 passenger seatbelt was almost fraying..

My 2000 belts are mint

Back