• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Oil pressure whoa's.. mechanical Gauge test!

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I replaced the Rear main, and oil pan gasket a few months back.. and ever since i started noticing very low oil pressure at idle.. and a slow gauge when accelerating

I bought a $15 Gauge to get real readings.. Look these over, and let me know your thoughts.. Should i replace the Pump?
It knocks for 1 second when cold started.. and when the oil warms up, theres a Top end "tap"

Cold idle (5 seconds after cold start)
6B59D763-15BA-49F2-9D38-7040E760F557-800-0000004636C8F7B8_zps602e8e48.jpg

Cold High idle (1800RPM)
F3D5E7D0-8DD2-4A19-85C7-7C95E61B72C1-800-0000004633137DB6_zpsb929b2ac.jpg

Hot Idle (15min warm-up)
1A42533E-DFCA-4830-BFCD-7759343A6687-800-000000462F76A5EE_zps23da414b.jpg

Video while "Revving" Still the questionable Pressure at idle, But much better readings while revving..

Technically you are within factory specs. What oil and viscosity are you running?

agreed with the above post as well. If you are running a cheap filter, a NAPA gold filter and some decent oil might bump oil pressure even higher.

Pray that the filter isn't a Fram.

I solved the last part of my hot idle oil pressure problem when I solved the last of my cooling system problems. The donut in the exhaust flange was bad and exhaust was blowing directly on the oil sump, heating the hell out of the oil and thinning it out too much. I get about an extra 10 psi on hot (105 F)summer days now, A/C running in 90% humidity in stop and go traffic, after a long freeway run, about 28 instead of 18 psi now.

The video sounds like it idles a little high. Not that that has a bearing on your oil pressure figures.

My Renix shows 40psi on cold start up and drops about 5psi when warm.

Seeing your mechanical gauge has got me wondering if my dash gauge is trustworthy.

My old sending unit was showing 60 psi at start and 45 psi warm until the connector broke off.

I think the resistance was gradually increasing as the corrosion set in at the sending unit connection.

Your top end tap might be an injector or sparkplug wire or exhaust manifold.

The video sounds like it idles a little high. Not that that has a bearing on your oil pressure figures.

My Renix shows 40psi on cold start up and drops about 5psi when warm.

Seeing your mechanical gauge has got me wondering if my dash gauge is trustworthy.

My old sending unit was showing 60 psi at start and 45 psi warm until the connector broke off.

I think the resistance was gradually increasing as the corrosion set in at the sending unit connection.

Your top end tap might be an injector or sparkplug wire or exhaust manifold.

I do have bare wires on one of the Injectors.. I've wrapped them in electrical tape but the heat just makes it unravel/unstick

Oil filter is a WIX 51626 Oil is 10w30 Castrol GTX

Exhaust manifold is not cracked (rare!)

You're right on the threshold of the spec of 13 psi at idle hot.

The rest seems good. Pressure comes up quickly and pretty high.

How sludgy was/is the engine inside?

I think you're probably all right, and will probably continue to be with that pressure, but if I were running this I think I'd put a little heavier oil in for the summer. I've taken three of these things past 200 thousand miles, and found that when they get up there, 20-w-50 is pretty comfy. Once you're sure of easy starts in summer, you might also try straight 30 weight.

You're right on the threshold of the spec of 13 psi at idle hot.

The rest seems good. Pressure comes up quickly and pretty high.

How sludgy was/is the engine inside?
When i pulled the pan, everything looked very clean, there was minimal sludge/crap in the Pickup screen

But when i pull the oil cap, things look alot different.. seems sludgey I'll probably keep this spare renix motor and start doing a "Refresh" on it.. The current 4.0 could last weeks, months, or years.. but @200k+ its not been well maintained:twak:
I dont see it lasting another 100k..

Put 5 quarts of 15-40 Rotella diesel oil in it with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Use a Wix or Napa Gold filter. Monitor the sludge melting away by observing through the oil filler hole.

Back