• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't find the right dana 30 seal?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
1989, front dana 30 axle. I am trying to find the rear grease (or dust?) seal for the rear of the wheel hub bearing assy.

Rock auto might have it, but which one? The descriptions are vague, and odd to say the least. Advance A, AZ, And O'Reilys did not have the right seal.

It looks like an old style grease seal, but on the Dana 30 it looks more like a dust seal, behind the sealed bearing in the hub assy.

http://www.sealsit.com/lowcostaxleseal.asp

EAS3-05
used this as an outer seal on a buddies rig.
i read a ton of forums, googled for a long time, lots of time on naxja too.

I have a buddy that had a disco axle, we tried every inner seal for the disco conversion. used this as an outer seal. it works great. I've heard it works great as an inner axle seal too.

I think he is talking about the hub slinger. Or are you? Is it the rubber seal on the rear of the hub assembly (inner) bearing or the metal seal race (slinger) on the axle stub shaft?

The Crown number is 83500201 (1984-2001) axle shaft outer slinger.

Jeep number is 8350 0201 Slinger dust.

There is a rubber lipped seal at the inside of the hub assembly (bearings) and it rides against the slinger on the axle stub. A finger full of grease on the slinger face and be careful of the clearance. To much space and it doesn't really do anything, to tight and the slinger wears through the rubber seal.

Quadratec has them using the crown numbers, $7 for two.

Jeep has them, last time I bought one it was around $6 for one.

Last edited:
The seal I am looking for goes on the rear side of the wheel bearing hub assy, Dana-30, NON-Disco axle.

It seals against the rear plate which is part of the short outer axle shaft that goes through the wheel bearing hub assy. The plate is just before the U-joint. It seems to be a dust/water/mud back up seal but looks like a typical old style grease seal, and the bearing itself seems to be sealed with an inner seal already.

I am also looking for the cheap plastic slinger that goes on the shaft just in front of the open axle tubes.

And I need 2 new sets of the 85 mm long bolts that hold the wheel hub assy to the steering knuckle assy.

This looks too thin on the wall/case to be it either? Perhaps that is why you warned to locate it carefully? the old one was a 1/4" thick on the wall, with the rubber extending out well past that at an angle.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52426_05.htm

The one I need is also closer to 3" dia.

The one Autozone had was about 1/4" too small in diameter.

By your description I would say it is the "rear of the hub assembly metal seal race (slinger) on the axle stub shaft".

The one I removed looks like this on the outer wall:

images.ashx
But also has the rubber sticking way out like the one you suggested below:

images.ashx

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52420_14.htm ???? maybe

Jeep number 5300 0239

The problem I had the last time I looked for that part was, in some manuals, it is listed in the brake section along with the hub. And the slinger is listed in the differential and front axle section.

The seal I replaced was totally rubber, but the outside ring of the seal was hard, maybe metal covered in rubber, and the actual sealing part was a sideways *V* that road on the metal slinger on the axle stub. Actually two parts of the same seal, the seal itself in the hub and the seal race or the slinger on the axle stub shaft. You have to adjust the slinger (position) on the stub shaft so it just touches the sideways *V* on the inner hub seal.

I eventually found an exact replacement, but they may look different now and the metal (outer ring) part of the seal is red painted metal, but the rubber (actual sealing) part is the same. It also may not be the sideways *V* that it used to be, but is now a single elevated lip.

However it is designed, it is basically the same as the inner seal on the mid 70's Dodge 4X4 hub seal (open bearings) and basically junk that really doesn't last very long. In most early XJ's it is long gone and the sealed bearing keeps most of the water and junk out of the bearings innards.

I shoot for OEM when possible, but that seal doesn't really last long and is a poor design. It may or may not be a factor in how long the bearings last, I doubt it. I basically coat the whole insides of a new hub bearing with (a bunch of) grease and leave it in there as a barrier between the metal parts inside the hub and any water that finds it's way inside.

Last thing before I forget, don't push the seal all the way in. Just until the hard ring face is flush and the soft rubber lip sticks out past the inner hub rim. It will go in there too far, don't ask, had a brain fart and found out the hard way ;).

Last edited:
That seems to be the actual grease seal for the hub bearing rear side, no idea why they call it an oil seal?

The seal I want goes in the rear side of the hub, on top of that seal, it is metal on hub side. about 1/4 wide, and the rubber part sticks out about 3/8" at an angle, V, and seals against the slinger plate that is part of the short outer axle shaft (perpendicular to the shaft), that goes through the bearing-hub assy.

"You have to adjust the slinger (position) on the stub shaft so it just touches the sideways *V* on the inner hub seal." Mine is not adjustable, it is all one metal piece on my outer shaft?

Last edited:
The slinger is on the stub shaft, the short end of the front axle outside of the U-joints. It is metal and just slides on the stub shaft (with some resistance). The slinger is usually rusted onto the stub shaft and just looks like it is all one piece.

They may have redesigned that inner hub seal, it used to be identical to an old Dodge inner bearing hub seal. The slinger road against the seal and made the seal. The seal didn't seal the stub shaft, but the seal was made to seal between the inner hub seal and the slinger. Like I said. it may be redesigned, it was pretty crappy in the original design, sand would get between the seal, the axle and the slinger and could wear the seal down to nothing pretty quick.

You can look closely at the the new seal (if you get one) and see if it is designed to seal on the slinger or the shaft. The slinger seal has a sideways soft rubber *V* that seals on the slinger, using the slinger as a seal race. The shaft type seal has a single lip that seals on the shaft. Neither lasts long (3-5 years maybe)and if some sand gets in there or rust builds up, not even that long.

Last edited:
1989, front dana 30 axle. I am trying to find the rear grease (or dust?) seal for the rear of the wheel hub bearing assy.

Mike, you can get them, but why bother?

New Units don't come with one because the bearings are not rebuildable like the old ones were.

I am reusing the complete old hubs, maybe the originals even on this 89 I bought recently, they are still good, Timken, feel just like new. About 145,000 miles the clock. I am trying to replace the seals that were OEM. Are you suggesting they are waste of time and money? Only reason I am in there was to replace the Spicer 5-260x U-joints that were toast.

Mike, you can get them, but why bother?

New Units don't come with one because the bearings are not rebuildable like the old ones were.

Note from DJ
I found this old information I had saved this may be what you are looking for

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1044938
OP by tapher
What is this white plastic ring thing on front axle shaft?

Post #3 by Joe Peters
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ax...herokee-xj.htm
Part number 23:
#23 Slinger, axle shaft inner (steel 1984-1989 8126232
Slinger, axle shaft inner (plastic) 1990-1996 4797769
Slinger, axle shaft inner (plastic) 1997-2001 4882135
#24 Slinger, Outer Axle Shaft (if required) 1984-2001 83500201

Back