• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE gone wrong

Fulloutpwr

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search, but didn't quite get an answer I was needing an unfortunately not a genious with TC's. With the assistance of a friend, we installed a SYE on my NP231. Everything went smooth, but we had to break it apart a second time when it wouldn't shift out of 2H on the bench. Got that fixed and it shifted fine on the bench.

Installed the TC into my XJ, and thought everything went fine. Started it up, put it into drive and didn't hear the usual RPM drop going into drive. Hit the gas, didn't do anything and grinded going into park. Thought maybe the lever was in neutral, but it wasn't it was all the way clockwise which would be 2H. Tried it in 4H to see if any change, and it immediately started thumping and actually twisted my new driveshaft just shifting out of park into reverse.

Looking at threads, it seemed like there could be an issue if the SYE was not installed with the case in 4 lo, and I dont recall us doing that. Would this cause these types of issues? What is the necessity of being in 4 lo?

Sounds like there's a problem with the mode forks or other internal components. Maybe the synchronizer was installed upside down? Either way a tear down will be required.

Before you reinstall and drive the rig, you need to manually be able to shift the TC into each position and check for correct operation and engagement.

Sounds like there's a problem with the mode forks or other internal components. Maybe the synchronizer was installed upside down? Either way a tear down will be required.

Before you reinstall and drive the rig, you need to manually be able to shift the TC into each position and check for correct operation and engagement.

Thanks for the reply. Already planning on unfortunately pulling it out. We did bench test it and it shifted fine into each position which was the odd thing.

While still in the Jeep, try shifting the T-Case through all the modes by hand using a pry bar on the T-Case range lever. Your 4x4 shift linkage may be incorrectly assembled or incorrectly adjusted.

standard.jpg

While still in the Jeep, try shifting the T-Case through all the modes by hand using a pry bar on the T-Case range lever. Your 4x4 shift linkage may be incorrectly assembled or incorrectly adjusted.

I should have mentioned I do not have the linkage currently hooked up, I'm manually shifting it using a pry bar on the t-case range selector. It was shifted manually on the bench, and went through each gear just fine the second time around. We couldn't find what happened the first time regarding the shifting, but tore down and checked it and it started shifting just fine after we pulled the shift fork out to measure it and make sure it wasn't too long. The spring is definitely still on, nothing else was changed besides the SYE.

Back