• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monkeybars Offroad rear bumper/carrier

zr2toxj

NAXJA Forum User
I had some fab work done by MonkeyBars Offroad.

I ordered the ORF quarter guards without the tube and had him make a rear bumper/tire carrier. I haven't seen it yet, but he says it works great.

100_7313_zpsf6f70a74.jpg

100_7314_zps6709b0c7.jpg

100_7315_zpsd154cdd4.jpg

564618_482517151801951_1620699679_n_zps8e74b77f.jpg

0330131540_zpse136940b.jpg

100_7337_zps29a38918.jpg

100_7339_zps8a8bcf3a.jpg

100_7350_zps8b86db1c.jpg

100_7347_zps3f434e22.jpg

483320_482517271801939_1007513688_n_zps0aaacae1.jpg

552397_482517351801931_2012344011_n_zpse6b0c102.jpg

734396_482517361801930_1155722581_n_zps7ae92f50.jpg

Can't wait to get it home tonight and start painting it up.

Well, I've already clipped the drip rail on the DS and came too close to taking out the glass, so I wanted rails for protection and figured why not incorporate it into the carrier.

thats not the finished welds are they? if so i'd be looking to get some money back or have them actually weld those things on. just those tacks arent going to holdup for crap.

Well, I've already clipped the drip rail on the DS and came too close to taking out the glass, so I wanted rails for protection and figured why not incorporate it into the carrier.
My biggest concern is, is there an interior cage those bars are connected to? For most moderate wheeling situations just the bars welded to the 1/4 guards is rigid enough. But any heavy load is jut gonna destroy the 1/4's anyway if that is all they are bolted to. plus if the weight is supported by bolt holes through sheet metal, im curious how long it will take for the weight of that stinger and spare to stretch those holes out and start pulling the nuts through the back side. :dunno:

My biggest concern is, is there an interior cage those bars are connected to? For most moderate wheeling situations just the bars welded to the 1/4 guards is rigid enough. But any heavy load is jut gonna destroy the 1/4's anyway if that is all they are bolted to. plus if the weight is supported by bolt holes through sheet metal, im curious how long it will take for the weight of that stinger and spare to stretch those holes out and start pulling the nuts through the back side. :dunno:

As far as the "coffin rails" are concerned, I've been rockin' them for years. I use them just about every ride. Trees, rocks whatever is almost in the way. I have an interior cage but have not connected my coffin rails to the cage. You bring up a good point. May be something I look into the near future.

As far as the "coffin rails" are concerned, I've been rockin' them for years. I use them just about every ride. Trees, rocks whatever is almost in the way. I have an interior cage but have not connected my coffin rails to the cage. You bring up a good point. May be something I look into the near future.
Ya and like I said for most situations it is fine as shown. But ive seen an XJ lay on the rails and just compress the 1/4's enough the glass popped out.

We'll see how it is. Thanks for all the concerns, and possibly in the future I may tie this into an internal cage, so that's a good idea. I don't wheel on the rev limiter. Most of the difficult stuff I crawl through and I am familiar enough with it now that I know it's limits. I'm also not afraid of saying "No, this isn't happening" and back out of it. Even with an internal cage you're going to do damage if you flop/roll it, you got to expect that if you push it hard.

The intent of these is to keep me off trees, etc and they'll be fine for that. They're 3/16" plate and will have inner plates as well. I'm not worried about the holes elongating. When it is closed you can pull both pins and it just sits there, so the weight is pretty balanced.

I haven't gotten it home but looking at this pic and from what he has said it's not bad getting into the hatch. The supports are inboard enough to give room to get in & out.

100_7347_zps3f434e22.jpg

If it's too much of a pain, we've already discussed changing it to a hinge type set up, but I'm going to see how this is.

I'll give a report on it once I've got a chance to use it.

I like the idea of bracing it to an interior cage. I really like the bumper. The looks of the tire carrier are cool but to be honest I think the functionality sucks. Even after you fold it down to get in the hatch, it will e a huge pain in the ass to straddle that tire and carrier to load up the trunk.

I have a rigid rear bump that looks kinda similar. I'm planning to upgrade to the rear tire carrier soon, and hopefully jcr quarter guards/light boxes. I plan to add some small amount of tube to add a second hinge to the tire carrier so that it isn't on the single spindle. Should help with the sag issues most tire carriers have. Bracing the inside will surely happen when the cage does.

And you can't get in with a trailer on. And if you trip loading the hatch you will put your own head on a spike

Well, whatever guys. I can tell you this, I just picked it up and got home and it is nowhere near a PIA to get in the hatch. It's really not much different than a swing out carrier. Which you couldn't use with a trailer on either.

There's plenty of room around it when it's on the ground. It's a lot more functional that I thought it was going to be. I was worried when he was building it. I'm not after seeing and using it.

I'm also not concerned about it being tied into a cage. Yeah, down the road if I get to that point, absolutely, but it is plenty rugged as is.

I wasn't bashing the design, so chill. Was offering real life information on thing you may want to consider or look out for.
The cat that popped his window after smashing in the 1/4's like that did not have a big tire carrier attached to it. Was just the running bars. He was however on a very easy trail in a very over look - able situation and just hit a spot perfectly to toss the jeep to the side and slowly lay in on to the 1/4 and doors. No Rev limiter wheeling as you put it.

The build quality looks fine and I like the concept way better than a swing out. But there are inherent issues with doing things like that. Yes you are plated on both sides, congrats. I was referring to the sheet metal wallowing out and having larger than desired holes. Why? Because Ive seen that on just 1/4 guards with NO tire carrier attached. What do you think the extra load is going to do. Ya. Sitting on flat ground it is stable and secure. What about on a climb or decent, or when you back it into a rock or tree.

No one said you are an idiot or that it was an epic fail. Instead we are pointing out, mostly from an experienced postion, things that we see you may want to address to stay happy and SAFE. So cram the shit attitude Chad

Last edited:
Back