• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil soaked air rilter

fulltimer

NAXJA Forum User
90 xj renix special ,what is causing oil to be pumped out of valve cover through air breather and flooding air filter? new air filter lasts about 200 miles before showing oil covering about half the filter, I know it needs rebuild, anything specific to check is what Im looking for, rings? , head work? seems like to big of a leak for just rings but I could be wrong.

Pull the small line at the back of the valve cover and make sure it isnt plugged, spray cleaner through. Clean the bung it goes into too with small screwdriver and spray cleaner.
Next step is vc swap, catch can, or cutting some of the "towers" off inside the renix vc.

was concidering replaceing all the vacume harnesses anyway, they are cheep enough, will repost here in a few days and let you know, by then I will know if that cured it or not, going to the parts store now

Yes, replace the grommet and the vac line from the rear of the valve cover to the intake manifold. If the grommet is clogged, or someone has done away with the vac line to the intake, the front will spew oil out and soak the air filter. The rear needs vacuum so it can suck fresh air in through the front grommet from the airbox.

Replace the vacuum harnesses.

Renix Vacuum Harnesses
The vacuum harness that attaches to the front of the valve cover and includes the grommet/fitting, and is called the front harness, is Napa part number BK 715-1367

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3d715-1367%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3d715-1367%26Dk%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

The vacuum harness that is closest to the air cleaner, EGR etc, and is called the rear harness, is Napa part number BK-715-1366.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3d715-1366%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3d715-1366%26Dk%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

The tube from the rear of the valve cover to the intake manifold is part number 715-1365.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3d715-1365%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3d715-1365%26Dk%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

Revised 09-11-2012

If you happen to need a new valve cover gasket anyways, do this:
Cruiser’s Valve Cover Mod
Most early and even later Renix 4.0s could be bothered by excessive oil in the air cleaner box. A fix from my old days as Service Manager at a Jeep dealership follows. Information was provided to me from a buddy at JeepTech during those days. I don’t believe it ever came out in a Technical Service Bulletin.

Remove the valve cover and turn it over. Next, remove the fluted tubes that are now facing you by removing three screws on each. Chop 1 inch off each of them. Then, about a half inch up from the area where you just sawed them off, drill a half inch hole in the tubes so the holes will face the rear of the valve cover. Clean and de-burr/sand all rough edges nicely, clean with solvent, and reinstall. Don’t be concerned about the chintzy gaskets that will probably crumble into oblivion when you remove the fluted tubes. They can go back together without gaskets.

FYI. This mod is fairly easy to do. The fluted tubes are very soft aluminum. I got through mine with a hack saw blade with a duct tape handle and drilled the holes with a dull bit in a cordless drill with dead batteries.

Though unrelated clean out the vac line from the MAP to the throttle body while your at it. Fishing line and brake cleaner works well. And NO there is no second line to the TB. I guess that's just a rubber nipple to secure the fitting.

FYI. This mod is fairly easy to do. The fluted tubes are very soft aluminum. I got through mine with a hack saw blade with a duct tape handle and drilled the holes with a dull bit in a cordless drill with dead batteries.

Though unrelated clean out the vac line from the MAP to the throttle body while your at it. Fishing line and brake cleaner works well. And NO there is no second line to the TB. I guess that's just a rubber nipple to secure the fitting.

You are absolutely correct.

Back