• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle sensor and hood vents question

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Was wondering if anybody has had problems with their tps throttle position sensor going out cause of rain or snow coming in thru the hood vents? We just got snow again last night and the tps went out this morning on the way to work. This is the 2nd one if have replaced in 2 months and they both happened right after a big snow fall. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and what you did to fix it. Its starting to become a pain always having to replace this part. Atleast i got the lifetime warranty with it. Is there something i can do to help make them last longer?

Thanks,
Ben

TPS's don't like water. If you have hood vents it's best to use some drip pan configuration under them to direct water away from the intake, distributor areas...or use corner vents. When were expecting bad weather and my rig is sitting...I put plastic over the vents. I'm not so worried about it when I'm moving and the engine is hot.

I made a drip pan for the winter for my lebaron vents.

I do go through about 1-2 TPS a year though probably because of the hood vents being right over the TPS and that I remove the drop pans for the spring/summer/fall. I also had lots of issues with cheap autozone sensors, started using NAPA and way less Issues.

I used to throw a garbage bag or a tarp over the vents when it was parked for the night when camping in heavy rain and snow just to keep it out.

Guess it looks like i am just gonna have to come up with something to put in the jeep to put over the vents whenever it sits for a while then. Glad im not the only one having this problem. Thanks all

I had my TPS destroyed shortly after installing my hood vents w/out the drain pain and a nice Summer Rain Storm. After that... I came up w/a drain pan to attach to my hood vents and also applied a liberal amount of electrical grease to the connection on the new TPS. I haven't had any problems since.

I did see something after I put the drain pan on my set-up.... this person cut out the plastic cap of a spray paint can (or something similar) and made it a cover for the TPS which keeps the rain water (or melting snow) out. I may try this and remove the drain pan off mine to allow a bit more hot air out during the summer.

the plastic cap of a spray paint can (or something similar) and made it a cover for the TPS which keeps the rain water (or melting snow) out. I may try this and remove the drain pan off mine to allow a bit more hot air out during the summer.

I like it!!

TPS go bad ? Mine have never gotten wet with vents and drip pans . Been raining all day .

DSCF9265_zpse64bce8d.jpg

DSCF9267_zps67f4653e.jpg

My vents consist of a 4" hole I used some liquid electrical tape on the sensors and haven't had a issue with rain yet

OP, time for some DUCK TAPE :shiver: perhaps? LOL

Ecomike , i know this is'nt the place but lets see that diesel XJ .

Ecomike , i know this is'nt the place but lets see that diesel XJ .

LOL, The duct tape is getting old on the diesel!!! But it is alive and well, drove it yesterday!

Dsc00434.jpg

Last edited:
Did you buy the XJ on ebay or have it for sale on ebay once . I seem to remember the tape job . Isuzu motor ?

Chrysler Lebaron . I forget what year they were from . Have not seen one at the U=pull in years . I've had mine on a long time now .

Did you buy the XJ on ebay or have it for sale on ebay once . I seem to remember the tape job . Isuzu motor ?

Nissan SD-22. No, You saw my old posts and pictures here about 6 years ago.

Got cha . And now i rememba .

Back