• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 with chevy flat tops, pads and caliper problems

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So i Was just finishing up my D44, and I was trying to install the calipers and pads. Theres not enough room for the pads. Its a HP 44 with chevy flat tops. Im i doing something wrong or what? I mean the outter pad will fit but theres not enough room for the inner pad to fit. Half the pad would need to be ground down to fit. I know I have all the right part and in order -

Chevy flat top, then chevy spindle, then chevy caliper bracket, ford hub with chevy bearings, ford rotor. All in order of how there put together. Can anyone explain this? Do I need to install the calipers and pads before I torque down the axle nut and install the lock out?​

What year/model Ford rotors? Pads? Calipers? When I did mine I used 70s-80s F150 rotors, GM 52 series pads(just about every full size GM car and truck used them at some point 67-02), and mid 80s K20 calipers(3 3/32" piston vs 2 15/16" for the half ton stuff)

Chevy flat top, then chevy spindle, then chevy caliper bracket, ford hub with chevy bearings, ford rotor. All in order of how there put together. Can anyone explain this? Do I need to install the calipers and pads before I torque down the axle nut and install the lock out?​

Put the caliper bracket then the spindle.

Well after talking to Josh at Crane, looked like I had ford style 6 bolt spindles. So the ford rotors were going to be to wide to fit in the chevy caliper, but the old rotors that were on the axle when I picked it up worked. and already had chevy calipers on it. After an hour at napw we finaly found a rotor that will work with the ford sindle and chevy caliper. a Rotor of a 76 CJ6 fits, I had to ream out the center hole a little but then fit the ford hub and cleap the pads and caliper brackets. So everything is all good and fits now!

Back